View Single Post
Old 02-13-2002, 12:35 AM

Default No questions are dumb.

"Lets say you flop a decent hand like middle set with no easy straight or flush draw with 1 low card on the board."

Coz - It's easier for me to look at specific hands and flops and then generalize, rather than generalizing in the abstract. Trouble is, I can't come up with a flop that has no easy straight or flush draw and only one low card. (The best I can come up with is K-9-2-rainbow, but that has a straight draw for someone holding Q-J-T-X).

“The river brings the 3rd low card and all of a sudden 2 people are raising. Is it safe to assume they both have the nut low"

No. However, you should tend to put them on lows if the river did not also enable a flush or straight. Note that it's surer some opponents have made a low than others. Whether something is "safe" or not depends on what you mean by "safe." I think it's generally safe to call here, but depending on the situation and your opponents, it may not be safe to raise. In general, I think I would just call.

However, if I was playing AQQJ, the flop was KsQh2d, the turn 3c, the river 7s, and two of my opponents suddenly came alive and started betting, I wouldn’t really care if they held low hands or inferior high hands. The only hand that could beat me would be a set of kings, and someone suddenly coming alive an betting a river card that enabled low wouldn’t seem to have a set of kings.

"I'm playing something like AAQJ, flop is essential a bunch of rags, flop is checked through 6 people, turn is as well, so is the river (no low possible), and I win. Should I have bet somewhere in here?"

Depends on a number of factors.

"I'm essentially scared to bet or raise without the nuts or a very strong hand like flopped trips."

Sounds sane. It's a place to start.

Buzz