View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 01:41 AM

Default Re: My Underdog College picks (insane as they may be)

I'm just as new to sports betting as you are, but my instinct tells me that the moneyline isn't as good an idea in College Football as it would be in other sports.

In CFB there tends to be relatively few upsets compared to how many games there are, and the ones that do happen are really big freakin' deals, season destroyers. The gap between the best and the worst D-I teams is really huge compared to the NFL and baseball. It seems to be a high variance way of betting, waiting for the one big score to make up for the times things went the way they're supposed to.

If the teams are closer together and in the same echelon, like a No. 7 versus a No. 20, then I could see it, but games like that +1000ish line...the potential for an upset is so small, that it's not even worth the huge odds they give. I think the time is better spent seeing whether the point spread is reasonable instead of buying the lottery ticket and being disappointed everytime you lose. The skill gap between the good and the bad in CFB is probably one of the biggest in sports, and that doesn't lend itself well to outright wins.

That is a newbie, uninformed opinion though, it's only my intuition from being a CFB fan. I gladly welcome any experienced bettors to smack some sense into the post where I ain't got none.