View Single Post
Old 11-22-2001, 03:25 AM

Default Stud: The best hand I\'ve ever folded

I've said a few times in other posts that I've never folded a full-house in stud. I thought it may be interesting to post the best hand I've ever folded on the river. The hand is from early last summer when I first started playing stud. Since my memory isn't perfect, I'll have to "creatively" fill in the gaps. All the important details are correct.

It's 1-5 stud at Mandalay Bay.

The third street boards are:

(x,x) 2s (Drew)

(x,x) Td

(Ah,Kh) 9h (ME)

(x,x) 7c

(x,x) Qd

(x,x) Ac

(x,x) 3d (Aggie)

(x,x) Ts

For simplicity, I've given names to the two key players in this hand. Drew brings it in for $1. The Td folds. I call with a super-live three-flush. The 7c folds. The Qd calls. The Ac calls. The 3d calls. The Ts folds. Five players see fourth street. The pot is $5.

In an ante game, my hand is almost certainly worth a raise.

The fourth street boards are:

(x,x) 2s,Ks (Drew)

(Ah,Kh) 9h,Qh (ME)

(x,x) Qd,7s

(x,x) Ac,4c

(x,x) 3d,8h (Aggie)

The Qh was probably the best card I could hope for. The Ac checks. Aggie bets $3. I was surprised to see him bet since he had the lowest doorcard among those who voluntarily entered the pot. Aggie is a tourist and I know nothing about him. Drew calls. Another surprise since he was the low-card. Drew is somebody I've seen play before. He's fairly good. Could he have a spade draw? Or a pair of 2s with a good kicker? I call (I never raised or bet with draws when I started. I've learned better since then). The Qd folds. The Ac folds. Three players see fifth street. The pot is $14

The fifth street boards are:

(x,x) 2s,Ks,3h (Drew)

(Ah,Kh) 9h,Qh,4d (ME)

(x,x) 3d,8h,8c (Aggie)

Aggie bets $5 with an open pair of 8s. Drew calls. I call. When I started playing, I used to be a bit nervous (paranoid?) about playing flush and straight draws when somebody makes an open pair. I always feared ending up against a full-house. The pot is $29

The sixth street boards are:

(x,x) 2s,Ks,3h,5s (Drew)

(Ah,Kh) 9h,Qh,4d,6c (ME)

(x,x) 3d,8h,8c,Jc (Aggie)

Aggie bets $5 again. Drew calls. Drew has three spades on his board and may be drawing to a flush with a pair. That doesn't bother me because my flush is going to be bigger- if I make it. Is there anything more annoying in stud than having a four-flush on fourth street and not making a hand? I call. The pot is $44.

It's important to note that Aggie has to see the three spades on Drew's board and the two hearts I had on 3rd and 4th street. What's he thinking about the two of us calling his $5 bets?

The seventh street boards are:

(x,x) 2s,Ks,3h,5s (x) (Drew)

(Ah,Kh) 9h,Qh,4d,6c (7h) (ME)

(x,x) 3d,8h,8c,Jc (x) (Aggie)

Well, I made it. I've got a beautiful AKQ-high flush. Aggie bets $3. Just $3- not $5.

This sent of sirens in my head. At this time, I had been "acting weak" on the river with my full houses when I thought I was up against draws. I would bet $2 or $3 on my full house hoping to get raised by a flush or draw (They would not call any bet if they missed). Of course, I would then re-raise another $5.

So Aggie bets $3. Drew raises to $8. I know I've got Drew beat but I feel that Aggie is using "my" play. I had intented to raise if I made my hand. Instead, I call the $8.

Aggie raises to $13. Drew calls.

The pot is $78. It costs me $5 to call.

I fold.