View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 11:20 PM

Default Re: My first two hands -- some tough calls. Youch, did I do this right?

Hand 1:
Completing from the SB is fine. Playing scared with the nuts is not. If you think he'd call this early in the tournament when you hold the nuts, push. Simple. The fact you are holding a "random" hand in the SB would make it easier for him to call. Would you fold here on the bubble because you fear getting knocked out 33% of the time. You have to make these decisions once in a while. That's poker. You can't let him control the pot. This only gives him the edge. He can get a free card on the turn for the flush if he was on the draw, which he did. That's bad. Then when the river misses, he can fold without second thought to any bets. He is preserving chips, not you. You let him lose the least amount possible because he controlled the size of the pot and the action.

Hand 2:
He played this pretty bad. Checking the river was pretty stupid on his part. I'd probably bet about 250-300 on the turn and check the river if he called then checked because there are no real draws out there. If he had a pocket pair, that would've been a bit strange if he played it that way.