View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 11:00 PM

Default My first two hands -- some tough calls. Youch, did I do this right?

First hand of a $30 Paradise SNG. Blinds are 5/10, 1000 in chips. I'm in the SB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Three or callers, I complete -- I mean, why not?

FLOP:
5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I don't go overboard, just bet 50.
BB raises to 170!

Everyone else folds.
Now, I've got the nuts, but I also know that if BB has two hearts, and he's a fish (about half the players at this SNG are, on average, I think), he'll actually CALL. And I'll have a 33% chance of getting knocked out.

So though I have the nuts, I resist the urge to go all-in, deciding to wait and see what the turn brings.

TURN: 3h [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[censored]. I prepare to check/fold, given what I was told about not being too risky early in SNGs. He checks.

RIVER: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Do I bet here? A little something? I check, he checks.

I take it in, he had 96o. Did I play it right?
----------------------
VERY NEXT HAND I get AA

Two callers to me, I raise to 70. A guy behind me calls, one of the original callers also calls.

FLOP: 2JJ rainbow.

Greeeeat. Guy in front bets 65, I raise to 200 (okay?), he calls after the other guy drops.

He calls.

Turn is a 4, completing the rainbow.

He checks, I bet 100, he calls.

River is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The board is 2JJ46.

He checks.

I . . . . ?????

I check, that's what I do. Correct?

He shows J3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], the fucker, and scoops it in.

Please, critique on all streets, both hands appreciated, but I felt pretty good overall.

(Of course, later in the match when the blinds were 15/30 I raised to 400 after a bunch of callers, and was reraised all-in by a guy in the SB. I foolishly called, he showed me AA.

Lucky me, I caught a set, and the match is still going on . . .