View Single Post
Old 04-17-2002, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Has ML made anywhere near 11 figures yet?

Buffett has been lucky in some ways, but I think there is certainly talent there. You have to give him credit for the incredibly smart idea of getting into Berkshire in the first place just as the best structure for an investment vehicle. Then you have to give him credit for being able to move such huge sums of money without pricing himself out. Also remember that its tough investing when you become a significant, if not controlling owner of the company. Its one thing to like management and its model, but its another to suddenly be the one choosing management and its model. Of course Warren stays out of that almost all the time, but its still something not many could do. That is akin to you or I going out and buying say a local store that is struggling and not quite living up to its potential. Almost every time we would go in there and clean house, get new management in or at least tell them to try new things. Instead Warren just tells them keep doing what you are doing and just send me your financials when you are done. And if you want my advice or help of our experts, here is my number. Not too many people have that kind of self-control but to Warren its second nature.