View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 09:12 AM

Default Re: What to do with TPTK here?

[ QUOTE ]
This hand represents just the sort of situation you want to avoid in the early rounds of a SnG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't believe in avoiding situations that could pretty easily be significant +CEV for me. The fact that it's very early can even make it better, that's if I play a fixed amount of _time_ (per day, say), as opposed to fixed amount of SNGs. (Edit: but in any case, it's good in terms of $$/H).

[ QUOTE ]
You could be well ahead with TPTK or you could easily be behind trip 7s.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be also behind KK, 44, K7, K4, and 74. The question is how often you'll be behind, and how often you'll be ahead. Saying that you "can be behind" is not enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Or you could get sucked out by the flush draw that someone has to be playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the wrong attitude for poker. It's called "fearing a bad beat", and you lose money if that's how you think.

[ QUOTE ]
fold and wait for a clearer opportunity while the fish knock heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting for the fish to knock each other is always fun, but if they throw money at your direction (and they will do it quite often. they ARE fish, after all), why not take it? There is something contradictory in this approach to the game. Of course I'll avoid more marginal situations, that I'll probably take in a higher buy-in, but OTOH, the fishiest fish usualy bust early, BECAUSE they make stupid CEV moves. You are givinig up potential increase in ROI by passing on such opportunities.

Only my opinion, of course. In any case, you should play in whichever way that fits you better.