7. "I found this news group about poker but all they do is either fight or bitch about how much
they hate 2+2. I don't get it."
newbie discovers RGP. I never gave a shit as the format was so irritating I basically read it once and gave up on it forever.
8. "I'll never fold on the river again."
Look for posts in the archives by myself entitled "mathematical catastrophe"
11. "That Tommy Angelo character sure has some strange ideas about how to play poker."
Those who post different ideas about poker often stimulate your brain, even those who intentionally play devil's advocate from time to time (I am thinking of you, Vince).
12. "What is this no-limit stuff? Mason says in Poker Essays Vol II, which I've read 14 times,
that it's a piece of cake. You simply bet enough so they can't call you on a draw. How hard is
Against rank amateurs, this is exactly correct. Against better players, NL is a thinking game where mathematics is not much of a consideration. I know in limit I am always thinking of odds, but in NL I am almost never thinking of anything except my assessment of my opponent.
13. "The chances that I'll draw out plus the chances that he's bluffing plus the chances that he'll fold a better hand add up 122%, so I should raise in this spot."
Occasionally, there is just too much to consider and you should just play by the seat of your pants, as if you have to think about it THAT HARD then the decision is probably close enough to where it doesn't matter much which way you go....
14. "I wonder if Paradise Poker really is owned by the mafia. You never know."
Conspiracy theories ain't just for the government anymore.
15. "Look at this post! A pre-flop question? Gimme a break. If you haven't figured out
preflop by now, forget it."
Sometimes there is so much emphasis on pre-flop play you wonder if there are any other rounds in the game.
17. "You know, that Tommy Angelo character is starting to make sense."
You're starting to really think about the game when someone like Tommy gets you thinking. Tommy doesn't just look at the obvious, he gets into the nitty gritty, even the occasional point that that may never actually make you a full dollar over the course of a lifetime. But you still gotta consider such things, just in case you need bus fare to get to circus-circus because they're having a special on the nickel slots.
18. "Look, play whatever hand you want, however you want, in any position you want. I really don't care. You'll either figure it out or you won't."
When you get sick of answering the same old questions that you were asking a year or two ago.
19. "I'll never talk strategy or specifics with anyone again as long as I live."
You have received the answer "it depends" for the one millionth time.
20. "I'm going to post this hand from last night cause it's so damn funny what happened. These
guys will get a kick out of it."
You are starting to really "get it" when you realize that sometimes having fun is more important than eeking every last tenth of a cent out of a clueless tourist.
21. "awww screw it i think ill just go fishin in mntana and throw away my worthliss spell chekcer besides punctuation is for suckers, i dont have the time or inclination; to discuss poker anymore"
rray has answered severl of you postss
dave in cali