Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Game Selection...personal reflection (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=89905)

tommy2 05-30-2004 12:30 AM

Game Selection...personal reflection

I have just purchased TPOP and am thinking about the following statements and how they are related:

"Poker winners do not deny reality. In fact they make their profits from other people's denial." (pg. 10)

"Choose the right game for you." (pg.9)

One of the things I have noticed in my game is that I often refuse to believe that I am the worst player (or one of them) at the table. I spend my time (and money) trying to chase cards and make moves that ultimately prove the contrary point to the one I am trying to make: that I belong at the table. The sublimation of my ego to my intellect is one of the biggest challanges I face; that is, quiting is hard even when I "know" I should quit. For example, I don't like to admit that my record at 10/20 is pretty spotty compared to my record at 5/10. I continue to work up my bankroll at 5/10 only to squander it at 10/20.

The battle with myself is maybe the most interesting part of this game. Anybody have any thoughts on how to best control these destructive impulses?

jdl22 05-30-2004 01:13 AM

Re: Game Selection...personal reflection

I think in your case stop limits could serve as a nice crutch and would help.

I'm curious to what the others will say as to an actual solution to the problem.

Jimbo 05-30-2004 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious to what the others will say as to an actual solution to the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop playing 10/20/? Or was this one of those trick questions?

Jimbo

Al Schoonmaker 05-30-2004 02:19 PM

Your post indicates an open mind, which is not very common. You recognize that your pride interferes with your objectivity. So does mine, and almost everyone's. You seem willing to consider the possibility that you're not ready for 10/20.

I don't know whether you are or not because I don't know how large your sample is. If you have played only a few times at 10/20. spotty results don't mean too much. If you've played many times, they would suggest that your game has to develop more, and that you might be better off to stay at 5/10 until it has developed.

If your record is only spotty, I doubt very much that you are one of the worst players. They don't have spotty records. They lose almost every time.

I would encourage you to have a successful player (10/20 or higher) analyze your game. The best way to do it is to sit behind you while you play. The next best method is to record hands and discuss them with your "coach." A poker discussion group is an excellent source of coaching. So are various forums here such as Mid-limit HE.

If the coach costs you a reasonable fee, it's worth it.

As long as you keep an open mind, you can develop yourself. When you think you have nothing more to learn, or when you deny evidence, you're in big trouble. I do NOT see signs of either in you.

Regards,

Al

StellarWind 05-30-2004 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spend my time (and money) trying to chase cards and make moves that ultimately prove the contrary point to the one I am trying to make: that I belong at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Proposed translation: "I know that my 'A' game that wins at 5/10 is not good enough to beat the awesome players at 10/20. I compensate by playing a tilted form of FPS in the 10/20 game."

Am I right? Is this the truth? Not an easy problem to fix but I'll toss out a few ideas.

1. Stop playing 10/20. If you are truly incapable of doing this then go directly to jail, do not pass Go. Any viable plan starts here.

2. Get a bunch of 10/20 hand histories and examine your opponents' play. Maybe if you see how ridiculous some of it is you will take them off their pedestals. You can't be one of the worst players in 10/20 or you would also lose at 5/10.

3. Make a specific point to find and fix several leaks in your game. You need to go back to 10/20 with something new in your game. The knowledge that you are now a better player will create psychological distance between you and your previous poor results. Of course being a better player won't hurt either.

4. Give 10/20 another try. Bring an adequate bankroll and some patience. Relax and play your normal game. I promise you they cannot see through the backs of your cards. 1BB/hour (or whatever) means you will lose much of the time so prepare for it.

5. Whatever it is you do to review and analyze your play--double it. Get a coach, post hands, look at your hand histories. Aside from all the normal stuff, look for signs of "that's not me"--making plays that you never make. That's a sure indication of emotion-based play and you need to confront it.

Good luck.

CrisBrown 05-30-2004 11:25 PM

Hi tommy2,

One of the most difficult things to learn -- and I'm still learning it -- is how to tell when I'm at a bad table (for me). I sometimes don't realize it until I've already taken a hit or two, and in no-limit play, that's an expensive way to do recon.

I use PokerTracker's "Game Time" feature, which allows me to enter the screen names of every player at the table, and if I've played with them before, shows their statistics for the hands in my database. If I see four or five players with green stats (i.e.: they're winners in the sime I've spent with them at the table), it's time to find another table. At best, I'll be a holding station, taking money from the "red stat" (net losing) players but passing it on to the "green stat" players.

But sometimes a table will have five or six players I've never encountered before, and then it's a matter of feeling it out. I have guidelines I look for in choosing a table: 30-39% of players seeing the flop, pots of 15-25xBB, and an average stack size of at least 75xBB. But that is only a vague sense of the table.

Worse, a juicy table can turn bone dry with the change of just one or two players, especially when the newcomers are in the two or three seats to my left. A very strong player sitting to my left can kill my EV, even if the rest of the table is soft, because he'll have position on me. And I'm not always as alert to that as I need to be.

So ... I guess what I'm saying is this, tommy: give yourself time to learn the skill of game selection. It's another skill you need to learn to be successful, every bit as important as your other skills, and maybe more so. But it's a skill you have to learn with time and experience, just like the rest of this game.

Cris

eric5148 05-31-2004 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I spend my time (and money) trying to chase cards and make moves that ultimately prove the contrary point to the one I am trying to make: that I belong at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your goal is to prove to yourself or the other players that you belong at the table, you are not going to play to the best of your abilities. The proof of you belonging at a certain table or limit comes after thousands, maybe tens of thousands of hands. Every decision you make in poker should be what you believe is +EV, not what you believe will prove your status as a 10/20 player.

tommy2 05-31-2004 01:49 AM

Thanks for the input

Thanks to each of you, especially you Al. I am trying to keep an open mind about my play, I listen to players I know talk about their game and it is: "bad beat this, and bad beat that"...not very productive, I have decided. I was really humbled to learn that 90+% of players are long term losers in poker. I really want to be in that 10% (and I am, so far).

Two of you mentioned getting a coach, I would love to do this, but live in Madison, Wisconsin. Is this something that can be done online or on the phone, or is this strictly a live thing?

Game selection was mentioned by ChrisBrown. Chris, I think you are so right. I often know a game is not right for me, too many maniacs makes me a maniac and too many rocks makes me gamble too much. I really need to work and think about this.

Thanks everybody!

Al Schoonmaker 05-31-2004 01:06 PM

Re: Thanks for the input

Three of my friends give lessons, and telephone calls are one of their methods. Jim Brier took lots of lessons from Bob Ciaffone only by telephone for a long time before having face to face conversations. Jim and Bob ultimately wrote a fine book, "Mid-limit holdem poker." Bob's email is thecoach@chartermi.net.
Barry Tanenbaum has some clients that he has never met face to face. He has a very successful coaching practice, and he also teaches at Poker School Online. His email is pokerbear@cox.net.
Matt Lessinger has not worked by telephone with clients, but he has given me lots of "lessons" that way. One of his clients has been playing only five months, but has won two of Royal Vegas Poker's "Play the Experts" tournaments. His email is mlessinger@hotmail.com.
David Sklansky occasionally gives lessons, but he is much too advanced for you.
I recommend all three of them. They all know their stuff and how to teach it.
Regards,
Al

easypete 05-31-2004 01:50 PM

Re: Thanks for the input

[ QUOTE ]
David Sklansky occasionally gives lessons, but he is much too advanced for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch!!! That will leave a mark.

John Feeney, in his book "Inside the Poker Mind...", mentions that he spoke to Sklansky on several occasions when switching levels, which I think I remember being less than 10/20. He also mentions that one of his biggest regrets is not speaking to him earlier.

Is it the case that for the lower limit players, that there are other coaches and consultants that are more bang for the buck, or just Sklansky would be too far over our heads to get anything out of a conversation with him?