Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Mandatory Service (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=81340)

Nepa 04-21-2004 02:07 PM

Mandatory Service

Is Mandatory Service or as I like to say, The Draft, needed?

GWB 04-21-2004 02:39 PM

Re: Mandatory Service

No. We have plenty of upright young men willing to serve their country - God bless them.

We will let the pacifists off the hook, even though they don't appreciate the service of patriotic Americans.

W

Kurn, son of Mogh 04-21-2004 02:40 PM

Mandatory service is flat out wrong in a free society.

GWB 04-21-2004 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mandatory service is flat out wrong in a free society.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you believe it was wrong during World War II?

Will a free society remain free if it can not defend itself?

W

jcx 04-21-2004 02:46 PM

No. What is needed is for the US to remove its troops from Germany, S. Korea, Okinawa etc. Europe and Japan have had a free ride on defense for decades at the US taxpayers expense. Rotate these troops with the ones in Iraq to shorten Tours of Duty. Get a competent Iraqi army trained and get the hell out of there, too. There are ample troops available to take care of the one task the US Military SHOULD be doing: Securing the US Borders & stopping the invasion of illegal immigrants & possible terrorists.

Kurn, son of Mogh 04-21-2004 02:47 PM

Pacifists don't need the President to "let them off the hook." The way I see it, the President, no matter who he is, is *not* my leader. He's my employee.

Honest dissent in a free society is is the highest form of patriotism. I may disagree with the pacifists, but I do not question their patriotism.

What is it to which we should be patriotic? The flag? No. The President? No. The constitution and the concept of individual liberty? Yes.

Don't get stuck on stupid. Vote Libertarian.

Kurn, son of Mogh 04-21-2004 02:51 PM

Do you believe it was wrong during World War II?

Yes

Will a free society remain free if it can not defend itself?

No. But a society that forces people into the military is already repressive and thus renders the statement moot.

elwoodblues 04-21-2004 03:07 PM

The draft seems unconstitutional to me. I am sure that it has been challenged as such (and found to be constitutional), but I don't see how it gets around the Thirteenth Amendment -

[ QUOTE ]
Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka 04-21-2004 03:41 PM

i thought they didn't have the draft in WWII.

ThaSaltCracka 04-21-2004 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. We have plenty of upright young men willing to serve their country - God bless them.

[/ QUOTE ]
we have plenty of men in the National Guard waiting that you like to throw around. I find it odd that when you were in the National Guard during vietnam, they rarely if ever used them. Then once you become president you call them up and send them off. Why don't you let the national guard hid out in America like you did during vietnam? you atleast owe them that much, after all thats why you joined the National Guard isn't it? Or were you eagerly waiting your chance to fight for your country? If so, you should have joined the fight like Kerry did, you spineless pussy.