Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Step up to $2/$4? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399597)

Amerretto 12-16-2005 11:41 AM

Step up to $2/$4?

Guys thinking of stepping up a level and have a shot at the 2/4. I've heard that there isn't a huge difference between 2/4 and the 1/2 tables. Is this what you guys find.

To be honest, it's pushing me out of my comfort zone a little bit, but, want to push myself to see how I'd get on.

What do you think? Or should I just go onto the £1/£2 crypto tables?

jaxUp 12-16-2005 11:48 AM

Re: Step up to $2/$4?

no information is given to the reader that helps them to make this decision. Try including a background of your playing experience and some statistics if you have them.

12-16-2005 11:53 AM

Well as someone who has made the jump to 2/4 unsuccessfully before making it successfully full-time, make sure you DO NOT make the move unless you are within your comfort zone.

Everyone is right when they say that there is not much of a difference between 1/2 and 2/4. If you can consistently beat 1/2, then you shouldn't run into a big problem beating the 2/4 game.

HOWEVER, your comfort zone is the most important thing. If you are not comfortable, you are inherently going to not play as optimal as you would normally.

I was beating the 1/2 game, so I moved up to 2/4 with a weak bankroll (150 BB). I assumed my skill would make up for it, and I would have no problems beating the game since I beat 1/2. I failed miserably as I found myself starting to play more timid poker after taking a series of rough sessions and my bankroll was not large enough to withstand the sessions. I dropped down to about 75 BB before I realized I wasn't financially ready to handle 2/4 COMFORTABLY. It took a little while before I was able to build up at 1/2 again to make the jump a second time (this time successfully), but I was better prepared.

Make sure you stay inside your comfort level. If that means staying at 1/2 for a while longer, than do that. Make the jump when you feel confident enough that you are ready. If you are having doubts, than you probably are not.

Amerretto 12-16-2005 12:08 PM

My bad, sorry. Was really just looking for a general overview. Are the games at 2/4 tighter on average, more maniacs... Would you recommend someone to go to the £1/£2 tables first.

Wasn't so much interested in finding out whether I could handle it or not. I've got the bankroll, and am confident in enough in myself, that if I find I am getting outplayed, I will quickly step back down, again.

Was really just looking for background info, sorry if it sounded like a silly question, with only half the facts.

Amerretto 12-16-2005 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HOWEVER, your comfort zone is the most important thing. If you are not comfortable, you are inherently going to not play as optimal as you would normally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks, glad you are making it at the moment. You are right about playing sub-optimally, if it is outwith your comfort zone. Can see me just dipping my toe in, and not making a conscious decision to play full time at that limit.

I actually think I have more concerns about staying where I am, read a post lately on a blog, can't remember who it was, sorry, but he went from 1/2 to 50/100? within a year. Now I realise that it takes a special kind of person to achieve this, but I don't want to be sitting here in 12 months time, asking myself the question about whether i could handle a step up in limits.

jaxUp 12-16-2005 12:17 PM

cappy made a good point. You have to be comfortable at the new level. Naturally it can be intimidating when playing for more money. One way to avoid feeling uncomfortable is by "taking a shot" set aside 50BB (or 100, or 75 or whatever) and treat it as lost money. Then move to 2/4 and play until you a) lose it all
b) realize you're not ready and move down
c) make 2/4 your main game

You MUST be mentally willing to lose it all in order to play comfortably and maximize your success.

Amerretto 12-16-2005 12:29 PM

Yep this was my thinking. Variance aside, I was going to put the money aside, and see how it goes from there.

Let you know how it goes, no doubt I'll have a hundred 2+2ers searching for me now to releive me of my cash. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sean c 12-16-2005 12:41 PM

Hi Amerretto i have a pretty small sample at 1/2 probably around 20K hands before i moved to 2/4. I started 2/4 on a 120BB downswing but i have been beating the game at a good clip since and i think part of my initial downswing was the comfort level thing that has already been mentioned in this thread. I think the difference in the two games is 2/4 is actually looser but there is not a huge difference in skill level between the two games. I think jumping from 1/2 to 2/4 is probably one of the easier jumps to make but again my 1/2 sample size is probably to small for me to be giving my opinion on this. I like the advice Jaxup gave in this thread and think that is a good idea. I think if you multi table add one game of 2/4 or just play one table of 2/4 until you are comfortable and confident that you will be a winning player at the new limit. I am currently doing this with the 5/10 and need to give it some more time before i decide if i am ready to jump up to this level. The only other thing i want to add is i think trying to jump up in levels without a cushy bankroll for the new level is a mistake. No reason to rush things.