Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   super standard? (boring overpair hand) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384249)

The Goober 11-23-2005 08:31 PM

super standard? (boring overpair hand)

Live 8-16 game, currently 7 handed.

MP had just come from winning a sizable NL tournament. He seems cocky and agressive and has been raising PF a fair amount, but hasn't been at the table all that long and hasn't show down many hands.

BB seems solid, although he cold-calls too much PF. He seems a little on the passive side in general, but just a little. My read on him isn't that strong because he hasn't been playing all that many hands.

My image is pretty crappy - I've been somewhat card dead, and the few good hands that I've had have all missed. So I've played more hands than usual where I raised PF and then muck on the flop or turn.

PF Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="red">MP raises</font>, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, button folds, SB folds, <font color="red">BB caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop (3 players, 12.5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn (3 players, 7.5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">BB raises</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

River (2 players, 11.5BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
<font color="red">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

JayKon 11-23-2005 08:57 PM

Re: super standard? (boring overpair hand)

Given your read on the BB, I would consider AT as likly as a set (2 pair just isn't going to be there given your read). I would have three bet the turn. Given your current table image, I doubt he would have capped. If he does cap, I'm probably going to fold. Otherwise, if he checks the river, I bet and fold to a check raise.

UVaHoo 11-23-2005 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your read on the BB, I would consider AT as likly as a set (2 pair just isn't going to be there given your read). I would have three bet the turn. Given your current table image, I doubt he would have capped. If he does cap, I'm probably going to fold. Otherwise, if he checks the river, I bet and fold to a check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree about AT being likely. It would frankly shock me to see AT, given the read. If he's tight and passive, why's he going to cap out of position with a crappy hand? I would expect to see AA then QQ, both of which beat Hero by the river. I would probably just call the turn c/r, because when I see the preflop cap/flop call/turn check-raise, it's nearly always AA. I'd then probably call down on the river, because I'm nearly incapable of folding KK here.

11-23-2005 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree about AT being likely. It would frankly shock me to see AT, given the read. If he's tight and passive, why's he going to cap out of position with a crappy hand? I would expect to see AA then QQ, both of which beat Hero by the river. I would probably just call the turn c/r, because when I see the preflop cap/flop call/turn check-raise, it's nearly always AA. I'd then probably call down on the river, because I'm nearly incapable of folding KK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think an overpair other than AA is likely in this hand and here's why:

1. Your opponent waited 'til the turn to raise you against a coordinated board with a FD, this is a common play used to protect overs when the pot is big.

2. He didnt checkraise you or bet out on the flop which he probably would do with a set when the pot is 3 handed or more.

I just can't see why he wouldnt show more agression on a flop that's coordinated with a strong hand like AA or a set.

JayKon 11-24-2005 11:35 AM

Yikes! I missed the PF cap. My bad.

W. Deranged 11-24-2005 12:55 PM

Yep. I don't see a much better way to play it. I don't think going any more bets on the turn is prudent but I certainly don't think folding at any point is either. Every other street seems quite straightforward.