Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Hi! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=37647)

fishy2 06-22-2003 06:20 AM

Hi!

Hi everyone this is my first post to this forum anyone know what site is the best site to play on?

fishy2 06-22-2003 06:39 AM

Re: Hi!

I am looking for a "teacher/partner" to help me beat some of the games.

Mike Haven 06-22-2003 06:49 AM

that's a difficult question to answer, fishy2

but from your name, and the phrasing of your first post, i feel you know what's what around a poker table, so i'll put my neck out and suggest you try propoker - the guys there are very friendly and they will welcome you with open hands - and the site itself doesn't seem to get any new players these days so i think at the moment they have a special offer where if you lodge $100 with them they give you an extra $1000 bonus as a thank you - you only have to play $1100-worth of hands - maybe they think that most people will have lost it all by then and they won't be asked to pay out - but you seem like the kind of guy that will enjoy the challenge of trying for their first cashout

good luck, fishy2 - feel welcome to come back in six months and tell us how you got on

fishy2 06-22-2003 07:28 AM

hmm this site sounds like a scam what about this site here

I heard this site is pretty good.

Mike Haven 06-22-2003 07:56 AM

Affiliates.

i see from the address you gave that an "affiliate" is involved in recommending that new site to you, fishy2

affiliates get a hefty part of the rake that you pay to the site to play there

some say that affiilates are the new parasites of online poker - if it wasn't for them the sites could offer lower rake to the players - with them they will never be able or willing to lower rake

and because the internet poker world is so small there is no necessity for them in the first place - they suck blood out of the system and put nothing whatsoever back in

their whole reason-to-be is to make money out of you, for the rest of your playing life in some cases - and because they are not independent their recommendation of any site is not based on whether or not the site will be good for you, your level, or your playing interests

it is much better to ask an independent forum for the forum members' views, and then try out the site or sites that seem to fit with your requirements - if anyone in that forum gives you a link to try and it is not a simple www address, you can bet your boots he is a leech who couldn't give a damn about you and what you want - only his pocket - and it's probably best to ignore that poster's comments in future as they will only become more desperate and less informative as time goes on

fishy2 06-22-2003 10:12 AM

Re: Affiliates.

I knew he was getting a cut of the rake reason why I signed up he gave me a deal think his name was fishy or something.

dux 06-22-2003 10:34 AM

Excellent post Mike.

fishy2 06-22-2003 11:01 AM

Does anyone have a CODE for 24poker a DEPOSIT BONUS CODE?

Fishy 06-22-2003 11:02 AM

How stupid can you get!:) and Truepoker CEO should read:)

I didn't reply when I first read this until it seems that you are gaining support from likeminded people.

"some say that affiilates are the new parasites of online poker - if it wasn't for them the sites could offer lower rake to the players - with them they will never be able or willing to lower rake"

Completely invalid, affiliates are marketing strategies, they increase the pool of players for the cardroom and thus quantity supplied, as quantity increase price go down.
Buyers or players should be able to get their service at a lower Price. The cardroom have the option of lowering rake and still make profits if we only think of a fully competitive market.

"and because the internet poker world is so small there is no necessity for them in the first place - they suck blood out of the system and put nothing whatsoever back in"

If there were no affiliates, there will be less players, more competitive players and the whole rake just goes back to the cardrooms profits. The cardroom takes the same rake regardless of affiliates or no, if they could reduce rakes they would have already done so. The demand elasticity for reducing rake makes not worthwhile.

If the player signed up with or without an affiliate they still pay same rake only, if through affiliates, part of that rake is redistributed back to the players if the afiliates play. it goes back into the poker economy if they are also players.

"their whole reason-to-be is to make money out of you, for the rest of your playing life in some cases - and because they are not independent their recommendation of any site is not based on whether or not the site will be good for you, your level, or your playing interests"

This is true for 1 time affiliates, but not quite true for long term affiliates because, a winning cardroom and winning affiliate depends on winning players. Mason Mulmuth wrote an essay about this. It is important to have a core of customers for long term viability. I try to create winners, not like you naysayers.

"it is much better to ask an independent forum for the forum members' views"

Most of the best players don't have enough time to answer even some of the most interesting questions, but I will ensure them a response if they are a member of my free club.

Jimbo 06-22-2003 11:25 AM

Re: How stupid can you get!:) and Truepoker CEO should read:)

Fishy for a genius you are not very smart.

You wrote:

""some say that affiilates are the new parasites of online poker - if it wasn't for them the sites could offer lower rake to the players - with them they will never be able or willing to lower rake"

Completely invalid, affiliates are marketing strategies, they increase the pool of players for the cardroom and thus quantity supplied, as quantity increase price go down.
Buyers or players should be able to get their service at a lower Price. The cardroom have the option of lowering rake and still make profits if we only think of a fully competitive market.

"and because the internet poker world is so small there is no necessity for them in the first place - they suck blood out of the system and put nothing whatsoever back in"

If there were no affiliates, there will be less players, more competitive players and the whole rake just goes back to the cardrooms profits. The cardroom takes the same rake regardless of affiliates or no, if they could reduce rakes they would have already done so. The demand elasticity for reducing rake makes not worthwhile.

If the player signed up with or without an affiliate they still pay same rake only, if through affiliates, part of that rake is redistributed back to the players if the afiliates play. it goes back into the poker economy if they are also players.

"their whole reason-to-be is to make money out of you, for the rest of your playing life in some cases - and because they are not independent their recommendation of any site is not based on whether or not the site will be good for you, your level, or your playing interests"

This is true for 1 time affiliates, but not quite true for long term affiliates because, a winning cardroom and winning affiliate depends on winning players. Mason Mulmuth wrote an essay about this. It is important to have a core of customers for long term viability. I try to create winners, not like you naysayers.

"it is much better to ask an independent forum for the forum members' views"

Most of the best players don't have enough time to answer even some of the most interesting questions, but I will ensure them a response if they are a member of my free club.

I give out softwares, tips, money and coach beginners to win at poker for FREE. See my profile.
"

I was planning on addressing your points one by one but it will be sufficient to state that you are pretty much incorrect in all your assumptions and statements.