Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How screwed am I? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376121)

Landon_McFly 11-11-2005 12:23 AM

How screwed am I?

I have a great job opportunity. It's a fairly easy job, and I'll be licensed to sell insurance and deal with finances. I found out that a background check will be ran on me, and I assume it'll be fairly extensive.

I've been charged with a federal crime and COULD have to do 5-10. It wasn't a violent crime or a sex crime, and didn't have anything to do with stealing money. What are the chances I'll get the job?

Keep in mind... I've only been CHARGED (i don't know if that matters)

jacki 11-11-2005 12:24 AM

Re: How screwed am I?

Why weren't you convicted?

Charges dropped? or were you aquitted?

11-11-2005 12:25 AM

We need to know what the crime is.

Chobohoya 11-11-2005 12:25 AM

You've "been charged." Shall we assume you did it? Will you be convicted or don't you know yet?

Anyways, yes they will find out, and you're going ot have some explaining to do. I think it's very unlikely that you'll get this job.

utmt40 11-11-2005 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PoBoy321 11-11-2005 12:41 AM

If you've only been charged and haven't been convicted, I'm pretty sure that your employer has no right to find out about charges brought against you without a conviction (that whole pesky little "innocent until proven guilty" thing).

PoBoy321 11-11-2005 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't nearly as important as the full status of the proceedings.

Voltron87 11-11-2005 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've only been charged and haven't been convicted, I'm pretty sure that your employer has no right to find out about charges brought against you without a conviction (that whole pesky little "innocent until proven guilty" thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't sound true at all.

PoBoy321 11-11-2005 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't sound true at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? People get wrongly charged with crimes all the time. Those charges are dropped and they move on and since they haven't been convicted of the crime it means that in the eyes of the law they didn't do it and I don't see why an employer would have any right to that information (especially when it isn't even admissable in a court of law).

tonypaladino 11-11-2005 12:49 AM

Employers are only allowed to ask if you were convicted of a crime. They are not permitted to ask if you were ever arrested or charged with a crime.