Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   value bet debate (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=291763)

stripsqueez 07-13-2005 12:36 AM

value bet debate

i need to settle one

5/10 6 max - i get Qh9h in the BB - button open raises and i call

flop is Qd 6c 10h - i check raise and he called

turn is Kd - bet/call

river is 9d - ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

wheelz 07-13-2005 12:38 AM

Re: value bet debate

Easy bet I think..

Victor 07-13-2005 12:39 AM

i thin its a pretty easy bet. he will likely call you with any pair save a 6. lay down to a raise unless he is aggro or capable.

Danenania 07-13-2005 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i thin its a pretty easy bet. he will likely call you with any pair save a 6. lay down to a raise unless he is aggro or capable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I echo this except I would be calling a raise from unknowns and folding only if I have a read of passive. Of course I'm all used to 10/20.

MrFeelNothin 07-13-2005 12:46 AM

I feel like this is a situation where if you check you allow him to act knowing exactly where he is at. When you check that river after the flop and turn action you are signaling- I am too afraid of the straight to bet but I am going to call you. He is able to value bet his K10, K9, 99 or straight while he will simply table his one pair hands that you can beat such as A10, A6, Kx, maybe a weak AK, underpair or other random crap.

I feel like I am in favor of bet/fold as you played this hand very strongly, unless opponent is tricky I dont think he will even consider a bluff-raise, it really looks to him like you have QJ or at the worst a two-pair hand that you arent folding. (though you are).

Im not even considering check-folding, so bet-fold it is.

___1___ 07-13-2005 12:46 AM

stripsqueez,

It really depends on what percentage of the time you expect this opponent to bluffraise if you bet and/or bluff if you check.

A "typical" player (I think) would only consider bluffing a very small percentage of the time, thus I think it's a fairly easy value bet against a "typical" opponent.

___1___

Danenania 07-13-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I am in favor of bet/fold as you played this hand very strongly, unless opponent is tricky I dont think he will even consider a bluff-raise, it really looks to him like you have QJ or at the worst a two-pair hand that you arent folding. (though you are).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that logically an opponent would hardly ever decide to bluff raise but when they do it it's usually a desperation move. They aren't thinking about what you have or anything really except the money in the middle. They see a scary card come off and fire blindly.

cartman 07-13-2005 12:51 AM

I like (in order of preference):

1)bet-call
2)check-call
3)bet-fold

To fold this hand against an unknown strikes me as nearly criminal. Then again, I may be clueless.

Cartman

bobbyi 07-13-2005 12:52 AM

Bet!

MrFeelNothin 07-13-2005 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that logically an opponent would hardly ever decide to bluff raise but when they do it it's usually a desperation move. They aren't thinking about what you have or anything really except the money in the middle. They see a scary card come off and fire blindly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an unknown in 10/20 im not folding. I was attempting to convey the point of view of a typical 5/10 weak/passive player which I always assume unknowns to be at 5/10 when the posters are too lazy to provide me with reads.

If I was playing this hand as the first hand at the table and truly didnt know my opponent I would probably be bet-calling or but this is pretty rare in the PT age. Though yes I realize PT stats arent reads.

In conclusion, GIMME SOME DAMN READS.