Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   stuck in a hand, shortstacked with KJs (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=286412)

proell 07-05-2005 04:05 AM

stuck in a hand, shortstacked with KJs

the SB has been min-raising and calling a lot of hands. BB is fairly solid.

how should I have played this differently? pushed it preflop? folded preflop? pushed after the min-raise?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter

BB (t1655)
Hero (t525)
MP (t2315)
Button (t1640)
SB (t1865)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t250</font>, BB calls t200, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t750) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t500, BB raises t1300, Hero???</font>.

donny5k 07-05-2005 04:14 AM

Re: stuck in a hand, shortstacked with KJs

Any of those 3 is better than what you did. How soon are the blinds going up? If next hand, I probably push. Otherwise, I probably fold, although if you think SB is going to call with a crappy hand pushing is an option since you are the only short stack. 75 chips isn't a lot but it's something. If I somehow made your raise I push after the minreraise.

pergesu 07-05-2005 04:15 AM

I just shove preflop. May be a leak of mine, and I'd like for someone to tell me I'm a moron for playing it like that.

Just calling the min raise is horrible. You're pot committed, may as well push and gamble. Or you could do a go-n-stop-n-go. That's where you raise, call a reraise, and push any flop. But given the pot odds and their stack sizes, you'll get a caller on any flop. Gotta push after the reraise.

So I open push. But if I screw up and do what you did, I push when it gets back to me. If I really screw up and just call, then I call the flop cause I'm getting slightly under the pot odds I need (need 5-1, you're getting 4.7-1) to call, and I can't do [censored] with just 275 chips really.

RaiNz 07-05-2005 05:06 AM

I push/fold preflop. I would also push after the mini raise.

unreal_nh 07-05-2005 05:12 AM

i would just push it preflop and hope you dont get called. but since you only raised, i would definitely push after the mini-raise, because you are going to get all your chips in anyway as you are pot committed. looks like an ugly situation the way you describe it.

The Yugoslavian 07-05-2005 05:36 AM

How about a fold?

Does everyone keep forgetting that:

Folding is sublime......

Yugoslav

Sabrazack 07-05-2005 06:18 AM

I fold this preflop without second thought, you have 10xBB and are UTG. I dont like KJ in this situation.

treeofwisdom7 07-05-2005 07:42 AM

the pot is offering you more than 6-1 on your call. I dont see you having any FE so no point in pushing preflop. On the flop you will have to fold because catching a 10 is 5.8-1 and the pot will offer you 4.6-1. Im starting to think that a fold preflop might not be a bad idea with KJs. But i do believe that against 4 players KJs holds some value, but only if those players are tight around this time. Fold KJ - KQs with 4 opps acting after you unless you can push all in. A small raise might not be a bad idea in this situation ither.

GL

proell 07-05-2005 12:21 PM

looking back after the hand I think that folding was really the best play here.

At the time I wasn't willing to push with this hand UTG so should have folded, but with just over 10bb I decided to put in a 3x raise. The mini-raise and call threw me off and I made the terrible play of just calling.

After completely screwing the preflop there was no way I could get away from the hand, but boy did I feel like an idiot for getting myself into that situation.

I actually got lucky and hit the 10 on the river.

Moonsugar 07-05-2005 12:47 PM

All these people that say push preflop are wrong. You should fold.