Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   JJ with a largeish stack in the 200k (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280556)

bugstud 06-26-2005 01:02 AM

JJ with a largeish stack in the 200k

if you've seen the post in the thread, forgive me. I had a major issue of figuring out what line to take here. So let's discuss it.

220 left, 120 pay, 42k to first. Recently moved to the table, probably only an orbit in and nothing seems to absurd.

Folded to the Hijack (9850) who opens to 1100 at the 150/300 level. You are next in the CO (9141) with JJ. Do you reraise here, or call and see the flop?

That's decision point one. Assuming a call...here is decision point two.

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He bets 1k. What now? He now has 7750 behind and you have 8041 before taking action here.

IHateKeithSmart 06-26-2005 01:13 AM

Re: JJ with a largeish stack in the 200k

I would have reraised PF. Assuming the call, it looks like a standard continuation bet, would reraise here, to say 2500.

bugstud 06-26-2005 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have reraised PF. Assuming the call, it looks like a standard continuation bet, would reraise here, to say 2500.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's the problem with that. If he calls...what does that tell you about his hand? Jack squat. That small of a raise means pretty much any pair and all overcards will still probably call...and I don't feel real great about folding to a push there.

billyjex 06-26-2005 01:18 AM

well i saw the results but i'll try to be unbiased here.

I like a call here PF. I want to be able to get away from the hand if an ugly flop comes.. also, if we were to reraise here and he calls and ugly flop comes the pot will be so big it will be hard to get away from.

By keeping the pot smallish we can also try to buy it on the flop if it's an ugly flop that scares him.

Now after you called.. I always reraise here. He could easily be on overcards and by "slowplaying" your JJ (basically letting him bet for you) you will be in a very tricky spot if an A/K/Q comes. Basically, I want this pot on the flop. I would repop it to 3000 or so and call a push.

bobbycharles 06-26-2005 01:20 AM

It's been folded around to the better and he makes about a standard raise. There's as good a chance he's on a steal as he has a hand. I smooth call and hopefully he starts to sweat a little wondering what I have.

After his continuation bet, I raise the pot. My guess is he folds. If he has AA - QQ, oh well, but he probably doesn't have a 3.

bugstud 06-26-2005 01:25 AM

so here's another angle: how do I make the most off the hands I'm crushing?

SparkyDog 06-26-2005 01:35 AM

I don't think the villian holds many hands that you're absolutely crushing. Besides, with the pot at 3.5k it's big enough to want to take down right then and there and add ~30% to your stack. The only hands I would like to see Villian call with are underpairs to your JJ and he may not fold those to a pot sized raise anyways.

But I wouldn't really mind if he folded everything else like two overcards, or even an overcard with a backdoor draw or two.

MLG 06-26-2005 02:32 AM

Decision point 1:
Either a call or reraise is fine here, its a style thing. I reraise more frequently because I also repop it with crap, but your stack size is very very tricky. Any reraise pretty much commits you, and a push is a massive overbet. So if I repop it I make it 3k to go planning on either calling a push or pushing any flop that's checked to me.

Decision Point 2.
I call here. Raising commits you and only brings along overpairs (and maybe 1010/99). I call and bet 2k on the turn if he checks. If an overcard hits and he bets again you have given yourself a much tougher decision, but that's the price of doing bussiness, decide based on any read you have and bet size. Generally I'd fold to an A/K and call against a Q (although I'd fold to a river bet). Raising the flop works too, but I think calling is better.

kuro 06-26-2005 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call here. Raising commits you and only brings along overpairs (and maybe 1010/99). I call and bet 2k on the turn if he checks. If an overcard hits and he bets again you have given yourself a much tougher decision, but that's the price of doing bussiness, decide based on any read you have and bet size. Generally I'd fold to an A/K and call against a Q (although I'd fold to a river bet). Raising the flop works too, but I think calling is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally raise the flop because if a spade or an overcard comes on the turn (18 outs) I've got no clue where I stand. If you flat call what do you do when a spade falls and villain checks or bets? Am I missing out on too much value by raising the flop?

bugstud 06-26-2005 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Decision point 1:
Either a call or reraise is fine here, its a style thing. I reraise more frequently because I also repop it with crap, but your stack size is very very tricky. Any reraise pretty much commits you, and a push is a massive overbet. So if I repop it I make it 3k to go planning on either calling a push or pushing any flop that's checked to me.

Decision Point 2.
I call here. Raising commits you and only brings along overpairs (and maybe 1010/99). I call and bet 2k on the turn if he checks. If an overcard hits and he bets again you have given yourself a much tougher decision, but that's the price of doing bussiness, decide based on any read you have and bet size. Generally I'd fold to an A/K and call against a Q (although I'd fold to a river bet). Raising the flop works too, but I think calling is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

it just felt so CSC-ish... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]