Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Declaring "Raise" and then deciding not to raise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=240194)

MonarchDon 04-26-2005 05:20 PM

Declaring \"Raise\" and then deciding not to raise

I did this in a home game this weekend. It was my turn to bet and I declared "Raise". I put my call bet in front of me and as I was reaching for another stack to raise, the player to my left was already talking about calling my raise (which I hadn't decided how much yet). So I stopped and declared I "Call" and didn't raise. Nobody had a problem with it so we went on with the game.

Was that inappropriate play?
Was I obligated to raise after declaring?

pipes 04-26-2005 05:30 PM

Re: Declaring \"Raise\" and then deciding not to raise

[ QUOTE ]
I did this in a home game this weekend. It was my turn to bet and I declared "Raise". I put my call bet in front of me and as I was reaching for another stack to raise, the player to my left was already talking about calling my raise (which I hadn't decided how much yet). So I stopped and declared I "Call" and didn't raise. Nobody had a problem with it so we went on with the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe you had to raise. Now, its possible the guy on your left was being crafty and was trying to affect the amount of your raise by his comment.

pipes 04-26-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe you had to raise. Now, its possible the guy on your left was being crafty and was trying to affect the amount of your raise by his comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think his play was blatantly inappropriate. Although it seems he is acting somewhat out of turn. Could be construed as angle shooting.

nuclear500 04-26-2005 05:33 PM

Technically if you were playing 'by the rules' (IE not a 'home game' but a tournament) you had to raise, but since you hadn't finalized your bet and he announced call, you can easily shoot it back down to the minimum.

This happened in a WPT episode couple seasons ago. Noli Francisco announced raise and was insta-called by his opponent heads up and asked for a ruling and was forced to make a raise but made it a minimum raise rather then something more significant.

Hal 2000 04-26-2005 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the player to my left was already talking about calling my raise (

[/ QUOTE ]

What did he say exactly?

MonarchDon 04-26-2005 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the player to my left was already talking about calling my raise (

[/ QUOTE ]

What did he say exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall his exact words. But I understood him to mean that he was going to call any raise that I was going to make.

SamIAm 04-26-2005 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What did he say exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]I think it barely mattered. Acting slightly out of turn is a shame, but announcing your raise and then deciding to call is a clear violation.

I say you can (of course) choose any valid raise you like, but there's no way you're allowed to just call.
-Sam

hachkc 04-26-2005 05:41 PM

Definitely an angle shoot, intentional or not.

I'd have made you make at least the minimum raise.

Hal 2000 04-26-2005 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened in a WPT episode couple seasons ago. Noli Francisco announced raise and was insta-called by his opponent heads up and asked for a ruling and was forced to make a raise but made it a minimum raise rather then something more significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was classic. They actually screwed up 3 televised hands in a row between them..........

Hal 2000 04-26-2005 05:46 PM

[quote}I don't recall his exact words. But I understood him to mean that he was going to call any raise that I was going to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're obligated anyway, but if you want to avoid this, call out your exact bet amount/

BTW to all viewers; if his opponent says "I'm calling whatever it is," is he now obligated to call any bet???