Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   First hand, please evaluate my play (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=195720)

young nut 02-14-2005 04:28 PM

First hand, please evaluate my play

first hand of SNG.

20+2 on stars, blinds still at 10/20.

I'm in BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG limps, all folds to Button who limps. SB completes, I check.

Flop:(80) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, UTG bets 40, Button calls 40, SB folds, I call 40.

Turn:(200) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet 140, UTG Folds, Button Calls.

River:(480) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet 200, Button raises to 800, I fold.

Comments, thought?

jcm4ccc 02-14-2005 05:07 PM

Re: First hand, please evaluate my play

I wouldn't have bet the river. The button cold-called the flop and the turn. So many ways for him to bet you--A5, 2 spades, King with a better kicker. Check the river, fold to a decent sized bet.

AtticusFinch 02-14-2005 07:02 PM

Calling the flop is fine. You're getting 3.5/1 and with implied odds it's worth a look at the turn. Plus you close the action, so there's no risk of a raise behind.

Your turn bet is also fine. You have a hand and an excellent draw. However, the call should send off warning bells in your head. You checked at first, then bet when a king fell. Your opponent clearly is telling you he can beat a pair of kings.

When the straight card falls on the river, caution is needed. I agree with JCM - you should check. With so much danger on the board, your opponent will either fold or raise you, and the latter only if you're badly beaten. A call is very unlikely. There's no way a bet is making you any more money here.

After your check, you can call a modest bet that gives you good odds on the river, and by doing so you may pick up a few more chips from a bluffer that would have folded to your bet. But you have to fold to a big bet.

curtains 02-14-2005 07:14 PM

Your opponent isnt telling you they can beat a pair of kings just because they called the turn. They could have a spade draw, they could have just a 5! These people aren't geniuses, and I'd actually suspect that the pair of kings is currently the best hand after the turn call.
I agree that the river should be checked, and it's not close.

mcpherzen 02-14-2005 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the flop is fine. You're getting 3.5/1 and with implied odds it's worth a look at the turn. Plus you close the action, so there's no risk of a raise behind.

Your turn bet is also fine. You have a hand and an excellent draw. However, the call should send off warning bells in your head. You checked at first, then bet when a king fell. Your opponent clearly is telling you he can beat a pair of kings.

When the straight card falls on the river, caution is needed. I agree with JCM - you should check. With so much danger on the board, your opponent will either fold or raise you, and the latter only if you're badly beaten. A call is very unlikely. There's no way a bet is making you any more money here.

After your check, you can call a modest bet that gives you good odds on the river, and by doing so you may pick up a few more chips from a bluffer that would have folded to your bet. But you have to fold to a big bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with all that Atticus says about how to play the river. However, I strongly believe you need to play the turn the exact same way. Just because the turn gave you top-pair, doesn't mean you should be leading out. You still have relative garbage for a hand, seeing as an opponent could already have a flush, a straight, a set, or a better K than you. Plus, you very likely have the better drawing hand at this point, so you'd prefer to get a cheap or free card here. All the K does on the turn is make it a little easier for you to call a decent-sized bet if he makes it when you check to him.

--Zen