Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   A Gentle Request (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=64359)

CrisBrown 01-28-2004 02:21 AM

A Gentle Request

Hi All,

One of the things I most like about the (now multi-table) tournament forum was the general climate of civility and courtesy. While this forum is still young, it seems like we're setting a more confrontational tone here. I'm not pointing fingers, as I was guilty of it also in response to wannabe's post. And while spirited debate is a good thing, I believe insults -- to persons or the issues they raise -- diminish us and our capacity to learn from each other.

So may I gently request that we all (and I include myself) take an extra moment to read over what we've written, and ask ourselves if something we've said is harsher or more confrontational than it needs to be?

Thank you,

Cris

Kurn, son of Mogh 01-28-2004 09:15 AM

Re: A Gentle Request

While I believe that confrontation is a good thing and that speaking directly accomplishes more than beating around the bush (who ever heard of a Klingon diplomat?), I will agree that we can be provocative without resorting to ad hominem.

I will endeavor to be diplomatic. After all, I'm not good enough to be a jerk. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

However, when criticizing my play, don't pull any punches. Like Joe Frazier, I can take a few on the chin.

Bluff1 01-28-2004 09:18 AM

I've noticed it since I've been here Kurn, son of Mogh and CrisBrown are trouble makers. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

juris 01-28-2004 09:21 AM

Keep up that bad attitude and you'll be banned bluff! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Kurn, son of Mogh 01-28-2004 09:39 AM

A Klingon who doesn't start trouble is no Klingon. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

William 01-28-2004 09:44 AM

What is a Klingon? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Stagemusic 01-28-2004 09:46 AM

Cris,

Well said. Although I enjoy a spirited debate on issues, I tend to regard insulting or overly harsh comments as the actions of people who have difficulty in defending a position. As such I tend to lower my opinion of the poster and will generally disregard much of what they have to say in the future.

Kurn, son of Mogh 01-28-2004 09:58 AM

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

My favorite invocation to type in when calling an all-in.

For you non-Klingon speakers, "Today is a good day to die"

William 01-28-2004 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

My favorite invocation to type in when calling an all-in.

For you non-Klingon speakers, "Today is a good day to die"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Really, I am [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

majQa' (WELL DONE)

Kurn, son of Mogh 01-28-2004 10:27 AM

Off topic

I had an experience a few years back when I used Prodigy as my ISP. I was browsing through the chat rooms and found a Trek room and logged in as kurnsonofmogh. As soon as I arrived, one guy said "cool Trek name" and the next guy typed in about a 200 word paragraph entirely in Klingon. I realized right then I was out of my league and left the room.

Game selection, after all, is key. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]