Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Fishy play early (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=64165)

Kurn, son of Mogh 01-27-2004 12:04 PM

Fishy play early

Every once in a while I make a semi-fishy play on the belief that I can get away cheap and still have enough chips to place. Here's one from earlier in the same 'Stars SNG as the TT hand.

Blinds are 15/30, 14 left, I'm in about 8th with 1450 after getting my AJo overcards, cracked by a slowplayed AKo no pair hand (fortunately we checked it doen on the turn & river).

I'm, in the BB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG minraises to 60 folded to me and I call. (hint: this is not the fishy play)

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, intending to fold. UTG bets 60 into the 135 pot. I look at my stack and decide I can play just as well with 1330 as 1390 and call, knowing full well that I can pick up a flush draw on the turn and still be forced to fold if he decides to play strongly.(hint: this *is* the fishy play)

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hello! hit the gutshot. Man, he's not gonna like this. I check, he bets 600, I checkraise all-in, he mulls it over for about half his time bank and calls.

What does he have? (I was treating him like he had AA) Did I really show those 60 chips I threw in on the flop no respect? What did my opponents think of me after this hand?

triplc 01-27-2004 12:25 PM

Re: Fishy play early

I actually like making calls like the post-flop call (and occasionally like the pre-flop call, just to keep people honest), even when the immediate pot odds don't favor it. The reason being that I am likely to collect a big pot when it hits (there's a good example of this from TPFAP with Doyle Brunson and Stu Ungar, I believe, where Ungar calls a bet with a gutshot, hits it and takes Brunson down), and the small bet it costs me to give it a shot doesn't hurt me that much in the long run. When players minibet (or don't at least pot bet), and I have anything going at all, I will usually call, even when fishy.

I'm guessing A8h.

CCC

NotMitch 01-27-2004 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm, in the BB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG minraises to 60 folded to me and I call. (hint: this is not the fishy play)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ohkanada 01-27-2004 12:52 PM

I think both plays are fine as long as they are done with correct stack sizes (for you and opponent). I don't always call the PF raise but 2 suited cards with some straight potential is a good time to do it. I also will make the flop call but it seems I never hit the perfect card!

Ken Poklitar

Kurn, son of Mogh 01-27-2004 12:53 PM

7-2 pot odds and only one opponent post-flop. There are hands (and chip situations) where I'd fold in this situation, but not many. 2 suited cards that can make a str8 is definitely not one of them.

unfrgvn 01-27-2004 12:59 PM

I have to admit, I probably would have folded after the $60 bet on the flop. Perhaps I'm giving up too mutch in these situations. Since he raised pre flop I would put him on A x, or a small pair. Hopefully he wasn't making an early position steal attempt with 9 10?

NotMitch 01-27-2004 01:02 PM

I meant his min raise.

Kurn, son of Mogh 01-27-2004 02:01 PM

RESULTS

UTG shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

River was neither an A nor a 6, so I take it down.

DougBrennan 01-27-2004 02:07 PM

Taking a flyer

[ QUOTE ]
What does he have? (I was treating him like he had AA)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to take a shot at this. KK? He makes a minimum UTG raise, hoping for the re-raise, then the A on the flop scares him, so he puts a 60 chip toe in the water. When you only call, he decides the Kings are good, and bets 600 just in time to meet your gutshot.

I know it's probably going to be something much less fun, like A2 or K8, but it's a better story if it's KK. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for what your opponents thought of you afterwards, "Why that *#%&! lucky Klingon #&@%&*!"

Hotrod0823 01-27-2004 09:41 PM

Re: RESULTS

Okay so playing A6o UTG with a Miniraise then a small bet after I hit my hand is bad play?

I think playing A6o, raising with it and then only betting 60 after the hand hits deserves to get beat by a gut shot. There were plenty of times for the guy holding A6o to get out. The first being Preflop. The second with a decent bet on the flop. Correct me if I am wrong but would you even consider a call if he bet the pot?

The third is after you raised him all in with a possible straight on board.