Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Thinking of Living Abroad (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=213775)

The Dude 03-15-2005 03:52 PM

Thinking of Living Abroad

I'm considering moving to a foreign country sometime in the near future, and wanted to throw this out to you guys for suggestions. Here are my criteria:

1. It must be a Spanish-speaking country. Spanish is the only language I have an interest in learning at this point.
2. I must be able to live within walking distance of the beach (preferably on the beach). I want to take morning jogs on the beach, and watch sunsets or sunrises over the water. The more tropical the climate the better.
3. I must have access to high-speed Internet. While I don't plan to play a ton of poker while I'm there, I'll need to be able to pay my bills.
4. The less Americanized the area is the better. The point is for me to learn and become part of a different culture.

I've already got a few places in mind, but I'd like to hear some suggestions anybody has. Also, I think there are a couple of posters on here who have moved abroad, although I don't remember who. I'd be interested in hearing about their experiences.

Patrick del Poker Grande 03-15-2005 03:54 PM

Re: Thinking of Living Abroad

Costa Rica is pretty sweet and one of the nicer countries in Central America. There is some degree of Americanization, but it's no more than I'd imagine you'd see in any other country down there and minimal once you're away from the resorts.

MEbenhoe 03-15-2005 03:57 PM

how about spain? specifically barcelona

jakethebake 03-15-2005 03:59 PM

Miami fits all of these criteria.

M2d 03-15-2005 04:03 PM

misread the title

thought you were planning on living as a broad

meep_42 03-15-2005 04:04 PM

Argentina.

-d

NotInchoateHand1 03-15-2005 04:06 PM

I would do it. Coast Rica sounds very nice, Barcelona sounds a little nicer, depending on what you like. I spent about half my childhood outside the US and when it is financially feasible (ie someone pays me to do it) I will again. You don't have that problem, so why not take yourself up on your own opportunity?

jesusarenque 03-15-2005 04:10 PM

I lived in Acapulco for a year. It is a big tourist destination, but the vast majority of the tourists are Mexicans from Mexico City, not Americans. It has its share of "Americanization" (McDonalds, KFC, etc), but it is easy to avoid this by staying off the "strip." I loved living down there. Nothing beats heading down to the beach on Christmas morning when its 85 degrees and taking a swim.

thatpfunk 03-15-2005 04:14 PM

I lived in Spain for a 6 months Dude and it was not nearly long enough. I hope to move back. It is one of the most fascinating countries in the world filled with some of the most kind and good hearted people.

PM me if you would like more info about my background and perspectives.

Patrick del Poker Grande 03-15-2005 04:16 PM

Oh yeah, and the small amount of Americanization I mentioned in my earlier reply isn't like there's McDonald's and Starbucks on every corner. It's more like you'll find people who can speak somewhat decent english and you could use American dollars in the resorts and in San Jose. There are a lot of (well, maybe not a lot, but numerous) Americans who go down there and end up being photographers or tour guides or whatever else around the resorts and live in the communities near by.