Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Was this add-on neccessary? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=204960)

SlyR 03-01-2005 02:47 PM

Was this add-on neccessary?

I was in a $5 rebuy NL tourney at PokerStars. I started with one buy-in plus one add-on. At the break I was 23rd of 412 players. Blinds were about to increase to 75/150 and I had approximately 17000 in chips. 5 dollars gets 2k. I added on, but was it a mistake?

2005 03-01-2005 02:55 PM

Re: Was this add-on neccessary?

I ALWAYS add on in the small rebuy tourneys. I don't know if it's +EV or not, but everyone else at the table is, so I want to keep pace.

Gavin G

LethalRose 03-01-2005 03:06 PM

17k after first break? nice.
my record is 14k

oh yea, id rebuy.

betgo 03-01-2005 03:18 PM

If you are doing well, all the more reason to add on. You have a shot at the big money. I know Sklansky says otherwise.

I played that tournament and was the chip leader for a significant time twice in a row. However, I didn't make the final table either time. One of the times I had a lot of chips at the rebuy. The other time I had less than 3000 before the addon.

ZeeJustin 03-01-2005 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ALWAYS add on in the small rebuy tourneys. I don't know if it's +EV or not, but everyone else at the table is, so I want to keep pace.

Gavin G

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this advice so many times, but it's just flat out wrong. I think that if you have about 15,000 chips or more, it becomes -ev to rebuy. It does depend on some outside factors too, but 15,000 is a good benchmark.

schwza 03-01-2005 03:22 PM

the add-on comes at a significant discount compared to the buy-in, which is why i always add on.

woodguy 03-01-2005 03:32 PM

Does anyone else remember a Fossilman post that reasoned that you should add-on every time except when you have 10% of the chips or more?

Regards,
Woodguy

schwza 03-01-2005 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Gavin G

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this advice so many times, but it's just flat out wrong. I think that if you have about 15,000 chips or more, it becomes -ev to rebuy. It does depend on some outside factors too, but 15,000 is a good benchmark.

[/ QUOTE ]

i assume you mean this number to be stars-specific?

gotti 03-01-2005 03:54 PM

Sly

I usually always add on, doesnt matter if I have 20k or 5k. I prefer a big stack, and to have alot of chips to make moves with.

I believe we were at the same table for awhile yesterday.

yoadrians 03-01-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Gavin G

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to argue with Zee, he's the man, and his results prove it. I guess my only thought is, that if I'm fortunate enough to be alive late in the tournament but happen to be short-stacked near the bubble, or close to the next pay-out level, damn, I'd pay another $5 (or $10, or whatever the add-on is) at that time for another 2,000 chips and another orbit around the table before I'm in push-and-pray mode. Say you're there in that situation and didn't add on ... you'll be kicking yourself.

I know, this seems like such a 'what if' scenario. But toward the end of those tournaments, every chips counts, and I want as many of them as I can get my hands on. And if that means adding-on for another 5 or 10 bucks even if I have 15+K, I'm going to do it. Every time.

You can't buy another 2,000 chips on the bubble. And I'd rather be safe than sorry. And if that's -EV and the 'incorrect' thing to do, then I guess I'll have to live with that.