Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   bubble idiocy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=256082)

liucipher 05-20-2005 06:01 PM

bubble idiocy

*ahem* not that I necessarily did this, but the correct play is to fold here and coast ITM, right? Or am I "supposed to play for 1st" with this mediocre holding?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

SB (t1770)
Hero (t1420)
UTG (t542)
Button (t4268)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero?

curtains 05-20-2005 06:04 PM

Re: bubble idiocy

I would fold.

TStokes 05-20-2005 06:04 PM

I will fold here but I dont plan on coasting into the money there are plenty of better places to put your money in the middle

Voltron87 05-20-2005 06:05 PM

fold, I don't rule out pushing automatically but AT is not a powerhouse hand in that regard.

EasilyFound 05-20-2005 06:05 PM

Good question. I've folded in these spots. I've also pushed in these spots and gotten busted.

BTW, what would you do if you had the button covered or the stack sizes were switched?

Voltron87 05-20-2005 06:06 PM

whats your pushing range if button is doing this often? JJ+ AQ+?

curtains 05-20-2005 06:10 PM

TT is stronger than AQ here IMO. I would definitely push JJ-AA, probably TT+99+AK+AQ too. You have obvious folding equity here, so you can be slightly looser. If your opponent went allin, you'd have to fold AQ+AK and the lower pairs. I believe I'd play JJ-AA only to an allin, and add some hands against the 400 chip raise. (and JJ is very close, maybe it's a fold, depending on the sopshitication of your opponent whom should move allin with any 2. If they do move allin with any 2 its a very clear call with JJ, if not then its a fold. However given that this is a lower buyin tournament, your opponents will be less sophisticated in general)

elcheapo 05-20-2005 06:10 PM

easy fold. Reraise if you can get the raiser to fold which you can't and I think you need at least JJ-AA,AK to even think of a reraise against the big stack in this spot.

liucipher 05-20-2005 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will fold here but I dont plan on coasting into the money

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my thinking was this: "if this bubble lasts a lot longer than I want ..." AT is definitely not that strong but big stacks pushing range is huge here since he has all of us pinned. And if I fold and shorty doubles up then I'm going to have to start stealing like mad to avoid bubbling out. Also big stack would be BB when I'm on button so it makes it that much more annoying.

Still my results-based thinking tells me this is a fold the next time I see it.

What would you guys do if this was 3 or 5 handed? Still fold and wait for a better spot? Or time to take a stand against the evil bully . . .

. . . who had JJ. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Degen 05-20-2005 06:20 PM

i call this 30% of the time looking for a piece of the flop.
i call this another 15% looking to do a stop-n-go on most flops.
i push this 40% of the time.
i fold 15%.

Andre