Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Barry G recommends pushing in spots like this but it feels wrong (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364964)

ilya 10-25-2005 04:24 AM

Barry G recommends pushing in spots like this but it feels wrong

***** Hand History for Game 2928505264 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:16861976 Level:4 Blinds (25/50) - Tuesday, October 25, 04:16:44 EDT 2005
Table $10,000 Guaranteed(495692) Table #13 (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: se_torsken ( $3357 )
Seat 2: zlightning ( $807 )
Seat 3: nando029 ( $2093 )
Seat 4: sayosuf ( $890 )
Seat 5: hasmikz111 ( $4375 )
Seat 6: ShaolinDonk ( $955 )
Seat 7: two40sxse ( $1060 )
Seat 8: lizrdking70 ( $1457 )
Seat 9: MURRAYM5M ( $297 )
Seat 10: Danimal411 ( $614 )
Trny:16861976 Level:4
Blinds (25/50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ShaolinDonk [ Ah Jh ]
zlightning calls [50].
nando029 folds.
sayosuf folds.
hasmikz111 raises [175].
ShaolinDonk raises [900].

Is Barry G's advice applicable to low-buyin MTTs, or is this a fold against typical $10-$50 players?

Some similar situations would be

--12xbb with 88 in EMP, 2/3 avg stack, UTG big stack minraises, folded to me.

--14xbb with AQs in LMP, avg stack, UTG medium stack min-raises, folded to me.

Jeremy517 10-25-2005 04:31 AM

Re: Barry G recommends pushing in spots like this but it feels wrong

I don't think I'd make that play in a low buy-in tourney like the $10,000 Guaranteed. You can outplay those players and find better ways to build your stack.

curtains 10-25-2005 04:52 AM

I sure as hell wouldn't move allin here. I have no idea where Barry G recommended this play...I'd like to see it and figure out what he really meant, because I doubt he meant that you should do this.

ilya 10-25-2005 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I sure as hell wouldn't move allin here. I have no idea where Barry G recommended this play...I'd like to see it and figure out what he really meant, because I doubt he meant that you should do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the hand examples in his book asks how the reader would play TT-77/AQ/AJs against a raise with a medium stack. In response, he recommends moving all-in with any of these hands whenever your stack is no larger than 8x the raise. Where he got that magic number, I do not know.

Jman28 10-25-2005 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the hand examples in his book asks how the reader would play TT-77/AQ/AJs against a raise with a medium stack. In response, he recommends moving all-in with any of these hands whenever your stack is no larger than 8x the raise. Where he got that magic number, I do not know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have it in front of me, but I think you misread. There's no way he would say something that vague.

ilya 10-25-2005 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have it in front of me, but I think you misread. There's no way he would say something that vague.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really wishing right now that I hadn't left the book in Boston. I don't think I did misread it, though of course I might have.

barryg1 10-25-2005 06:30 AM

Basically what I was trying to say is if I'm going to play a hand like Ace-Jack or a pair of Eights, and it's going to cost me more than 10% of my stack, I move in when I might get the benefit of my opponent folding. (The multiple 8 arises because if I make a normal raise I would be pot-stuck if my opponent reraises and I have less than 8 times his opening raise.) Sometimes I don't play the hand at all, for instance, against a solid player opening in early position.

Barry

ilya 10-25-2005 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically what I was trying to say is if I'm going to play a hand like Ace-Jack or a pair of Eights, and it's going to cost me more than 10% of my stack, I move in when I might get the benefit of my opponent folding. (The multiple 8 arises because if I make a normal raise I would be pot-stuck if my opponent reraises and I have less than 8 times his opening raise.) Sometimes I don't play the hand at all, for instance, against a solid player opening in early position.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Barry, you've made my day.

Also, I apologize if I have misrepresented your advice.

Nick B. 10-25-2005 06:36 AM

I would fold this hand. There is an utg limper and a guy raising an utg limper and you have only AJs.

durron597 10-25-2005 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold this hand. There is an utg limper and a guy raising an utg limper and you have only AJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is too simplistic. What if the limper is captain limp-a-lot and the raiser is "graaaaar i have a big stack fear me"