Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   educate a liberal (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=316028)

polarbear 08-15-2005 11:17 PM

educate a liberal

What laws were recently passed by corrupt politicians to aid large corporations?

I've always thought these to be commonplace, however, other than the Bush tax cut and the Medicare bill, I can't think of any.

DVaut1 08-15-2005 11:24 PM

Re: educate a liberal

[ QUOTE ]
What laws were recently passed by corrupt politicians to aid large corporations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Merely because a bill might contain aid to large corporations doesn't mean the politicians who pass them are necessarily corrupt.

imported_anacardo 08-15-2005 11:27 PM

How about the god-damned energy bill? $11 billion in tax rebates to oil companies reporting record profits.

Transportation bill - more of the same.

tylerdurden 08-15-2005 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Merely because a bill might contain aid to large corporations doesn't mean the politicians who pass them are necessarily corrupt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true in theory, but in practice, no one has yet observed a non-corrupt polititian.

DVaut1 08-15-2005 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true in theory, but in practice, no one has yet observed a non-corrupt polititian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

What's your standard for 'corrupt politician'? This is either a wild exaggeration or you've been misguided.

bdk3clash 08-16-2005 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've always thought these to be commonplace, however, other than the Bush tax cut and the Medicare bill, I can't think of any.

[/ QUOTE ]
The recently-passed "bankruptcy reform" bill was largely written by the credit card industry.

08-16-2005 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The recently-passed "bankruptcy reform" bill was largely written by the credit card industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* Energy bill *cough*

FishHooks 08-16-2005 01:43 AM

I'm a pro Bush supporter but he has no controll over the amount of pork that is being put into those bills. I do however blame the Republican senators.

warlockjd 08-16-2005 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a pro Bush supporter but he has no controll over the amount of pork that is being put into those bills. I do however blame the Republican senators.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pork and cronyism are the pillars of what this administration has been trying to accomplish (and has) since day one.

When I was 18, and an ignorant right wing idealogue (as I was raised), I remember spouting the party line in Government class, etc, without a good understanding of the whole picture.

However, as I became more educated in history and political events, I am now far to the left of the Democratic party.

I remember a few posts ago, you knew nothing of Reagan's actions in Central America. I wonder if there is a chance of a similar political 180 in your case as you learn more about what is really going on.

Seriously.

microbet 08-16-2005 02:34 AM

A very large percentage of laws benefit large corporations (not necessarily a bad thing). This is true whether they are passed during a republican or democratic administration or congress. Sometimes these laws (or proposed laws) have misleading names like the "Clear Skies Initiative" and sometimes they accomplish some social service, but are inefficient and divert a lot of government money to large corporations, like the low-income housing tax credits.