Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Golf question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295108)

Danenania 07-18-2005 07:03 AM

Golf question

If you could have Tiger Woods at his absolute best always step in for you to hit one type of shot, once per hole, which type of shot would you pick to achieve maximum score reduction? Note if you pick chipping, you forfeit assistance on holes where you hit a GIR. Pick driving, no use on Par 3's, etc. And to be clear, if you pick putting it's only one putt per hole, not every putt.

tbach24 07-18-2005 07:13 AM

Re: Golf question

Driving, which is undoubtedly the weakest part of my game.

deadmoney98 07-18-2005 07:15 AM

I am almost positive the right answer is either approach shots or putting, but it probably depends on how good/bad a player you are.

Tiger at his best with either of these shots is going to either give you an easy putt to finish out, or put the ball in the cup. Since par is calculated with the expectation that putting will be roughly half your shots, I think most should probably let Tiger do that, but I suck so I voted approach shots.

Edit: You absolutely must let him hit a shot every hole. And yes I am thinking way too hard about this.

DougOzzzz 07-18-2005 07:33 AM

Approach shots. My drives suck, my chipping sucks, my putting sucks. But a bad drive with a good approach shot should yield no worse than a bogey, even with my poor short game. A great drive could easily be screwed up.

Also, this belongs in the Sporting Events forum.

kyro 07-18-2005 08:23 AM

I'm just a godawful putter. Easy choice for me.

RacersEdge 07-18-2005 11:49 AM

It's a little misleading becasue "Drives" could mean with fairway woods/long irons.

But if I take drives to mean tee shots - and I get him to hit 14 of them for me, it almost will eliminate any chance of double bogey - and even bogies would be hard to get because I would have basically a wedge shot into every par 4 and would be able to go for every par 5 in 2 if he's bombing off the tee for me.

I would say that on my good days, I would be flirting with shooting par, and right now, I'm about a 10 handicap.

on_thg 07-18-2005 12:00 PM

Putting, and it's not close (although it would be much more fun to chooser driving -- it would be cool to be chipping to a lot of the par 4s and to reach the one par 5 I've never been on in two).

SuitedSixes 07-18-2005 12:17 PM

I am going with approach shots. I could tee off on any course that I play with a 3-7-iron, stay out of trouble and Tiger could get me a decent GIR often enough that I could two-putt my way to even par . . . and that's now that I suck at golf.

Dudd 07-18-2005 12:21 PM

I suck at putting even worse than I suck at everything else, so that would be it for me.

BeerMoney 07-18-2005 12:25 PM

The drive sets up the rest of the hole.