Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   AJs (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=9274)

10-10-2001 02:14 PM

AJs

I am UTG in my usual extremely loose 10-20 game and raise with AdJd. I had been at the table for about 90 minutes and this was the first hand that I had paid to see the flop except for the occasional free play in the big blind.

6 way action including both blinds...$120 pot.

Flop: 2d3d5c

I bet. 5 guys call before the bb raises. I 3 bet it.

3 guys now fold. The sb (a very loose player) coldcalls and the bb calls. $240 pot.

Turn: 4s

The sb bets. BB calls. I raise. Sb makes it $60 to go. bb folds. I call. $380 pot.

River: 3s

sb bets. I call.

Any comments?

10-10-2001 02:37 PM

Re: AJs

i would just call the turn and call the river, i dont really want sb to 3-bet the turn.

he's loose, but is he clueless? it is obvious you have at least one ace.

would he 3-bet the turn with an ace? would he try to make you lay down the ignorant end of the straight on a bluff?

10-10-2001 02:49 PM

I don't like your raise on the turn, and your 3 bet on the flop is marginal. It depends on your read of SB, and if you think you could drive out a 5-6/6-7.

10-10-2001 04:41 PM

First of all A-Js is not a lucky hand. Many of my sob stories are the result of playing this piece of cheese. It's definitely over-rated in the Sklansky hand rankings. I would say it's a group 9 hand in live play. Since you chose to put yourself in this pickle I think you played the hand very well on all streets.

10-10-2001 05:11 PM

I think you are probably beat but I like the way you played the hand. I don't think I would have played any different on any of the streets. Perhaps I would have just called the turn because one of your opponents could have a six but you still have the flush draw so a raise is not bad.

Was this a live game? Are you back playing at the Holiday Inn? It has been very good lately... better than normal if you can imagine.

10-10-2001 05:23 PM

I've read the other threads so I'll comment on them. I think your three bet on the flop is a very good play. I am assuming you would have checked the turn if the straight didn't hit. Nf criticized your turn raise and I think he makes a good point that the sb would know there is a good chance that have an ace so he likely would not bet out unless he has a 6. As far as raising with AJs, I don't have a problem with that. This isn't a premium hand and you know that so if you miss the flop you are able to get away from it without losing much. Plus you hadn't played a hand in a long ime so you would think your raise would garner more respect... guess it didn't this time with all those callers.

10-10-2001 05:24 PM

What is required for something to become a "lucky hand"?

AJs should be a Group 9 hand? I'd like to see your revised rankings. Are you still keeping the monster 74s in Group 8?

10-10-2001 06:46 PM

"Nf criticized your turn raise and I think he makes a good point that the sb would know there is a good chance that you have an ace so he likely would not bet out unless he has a 6."

I don't understand this point. Firstly, I 3 bet the flop. That should tell the sb that it is unlikely that I have an Ace (unless it's AA). It is more likely that I have JJ,QQ,KK and the like i.e. the normal 3 betting hands on this type of flop. So, when the 4 comes down, anyone with an Ace and therefore a bicycle would be taking a chance by checking to me because I simply may not bet my overpair.

But even if the sb knew or suspected that I have an Ace, he surely must know that I don't have a 6 (while I can't be sure that he doesn't have a 6). So, if the sb had an Ace, he should bet and then 3 bet me if given the chance.

Now, I raised thinking that there is a good chance that the sb also only has an Ace (after all he coldcalled 2 bets on the flop) and I have a flush freeroll. Plus, there is one other player in there (the bb) whose money could be useful if I were to go on to hit the flush.

Anyway, the result was no good: the sb won with K6 offsuit. He called 3 bets on the flop ($20 cold) with that hand. The game was at the Holiday Inn and if I were to tell you who it was, you would not at all be surprised.

In any event, I think that the turn raise is debatable as are the flop 3 bet and perhaps, even the preflop raise.

Perhaps others will comment on those aspects.

...and yes, the HI games have somehow become even easier to beat than they were when I last played there regularly which was in the first 7 months of 2000...I didn't think that was possible.

10-10-2001 06:48 PM

see my post below Clinteroo's.

While I acknowledge that the turn raise is questionable, I don't think the uncertainty flows from what you are saying.

10-10-2001 06:51 PM

I wonder if we can flesh out the flop 3 bet. What are the pros and cons?