Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Desktop or laptop? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=153919)

SuitedSixes 11-27-2004 12:47 AM

Desktop or laptop?

I am going to get a new computer. I currently have a desktop, but am thinking about getting a laptop. 90% of my compuer activities, lately, have been 2+2 and poker. My problem being that you can get so much more computer for the $$$ by going desktop. Do I just not know what I am missing out on, or is that the laptop is not worth the extra cost.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 11-27-2004 12:52 AM

Re: Desktop or laptop?

Will you be traveling? if not go desktop.

BusterStacks 11-27-2004 12:54 AM

Desktop. Hands down.

wacki 11-27-2004 01:04 AM

Desktop, cheap, powerfull, upgradeable.

Laptop, portable, small screen, slow, and you can't really upgrade it.

namknils 11-27-2004 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Will you be traveling? if not go desktop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't travel much. Yet I got a laptop.

In my opinion it depends where your computer will be. I very much enjoy taking my poker playing tool wherever I want. And I mean around my home. I live in a two bedroom condo, yet I still have the option of playing in bed, playing in the "office", playing outside on the patio, or my personal favorite: playing in the living room while watching my 57" Sony TV which poker profit paid for. The downside of a laptop is the monitor which (for me) is only 15 some inches which means I need to overlap while I play, but I really don't mind that much. I love my laptop.

Mano 11-27-2004 01:50 AM

I just got a laptop, and I have really been enjoying it. I have my cable modem going through a wireless router, and now I can use the computer from any room in the house. You do usually pay a premium for the convenience of a laptop, but I got a Dell that is more powerfull than my desktop for just under $1100. It's display is WUXGA (1920 x 1200) so runs 4 party games at once with room to spare. Check out www.techbargains.com daily, and you should be able to find a good deal. If you don't care about moving about, both throughout the house and from place to place, you can get a good desktop for less, but I am really liking the convenience of a laptop.

wacki 11-27-2004 01:54 AM

Namknils have you ever tried hooking that laptop up to the 57" TV? It would make 4 tableing (sp?) a lot easier. It's easy to do.

namknils 11-27-2004 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Namknils have you ever tried hooking that laptop up to the 57" TV? It would make 4 tableing (sp?) a lot easier. It's easy to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought of it, believe me. But I'm also an idiot when it comes to technology (hopefully not poker). I may try it sometimes, I think all I'll really need is an S-Video cable and it should be pretty simple, but whatever.

Topflight 11-27-2004 03:11 PM

Desktop.

I doubt you actually move the laptop enough to make it worth the performance/comfort sacrifice.

BusterStacks 11-27-2004 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd still have the same resolution as your computer screen at best, the picture would just be larger.