Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A surprising comment in a live game? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=117543)

TripleH68 08-27-2004 05:47 PM

A surprising comment in a live game?

While playing live a question often arises. "Do you play online?" The other night in a live game a fellow says "yes, but I play way too loose online. It is easier for me to play better in a live game than it is online."

Which is it for you? Do you play better online or live?

cnfuzzd 08-27-2004 07:10 PM

Re: A surprising comment in a live game?

Ideally, one should play exactly the same. I try, but sometimes the number of free drinks consumed will get me calls i dont want, so if i *am* drinking i never ever bluff, which i do somewhat often online. Plus, its so much easier to fill the table with inane chatter live that my game approaches the level of TAG-ish LAG that CDC described. Good times.

peace

john nickle

Nottom 08-27-2004 09:58 PM

I think its easier to play tight online becasue the hands come faster and you can multitable to avoid getting bored waiting for a hand.

SevenStuda 08-28-2004 01:20 PM

I think it depends on your motivation.

-Dimitri

Andy B 08-28-2004 02:44 PM

As you might be able to tell from my posts, my brain tends to disengage when I stare at computer screens. I play much better live, and I enjoy it a lot more too.

DcifrThs 08-28-2004 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While playing live a question often arises. "Do you play online?" The other night in a live game a fellow says "yes, but I play way too loose online. It is easier for me to play better in a live game than it is online."

Which is it for you? Do you play better online or live?

[/ QUOTE ]

i make more money online but play better per hand live.

simple.

-Barron

knightunner 08-29-2004 10:54 AM

I play better live just because I enjoy it more. When I muck 25 hands in a row live, I am still having fun talking and joking around with the guys at the table. Online is so lifeless and dull...

~knight

2ndGoat 08-29-2004 02:09 PM

I focus a little better on each hand live because I'm playing 15-25% as many hands as I would online. On the other hand, I do not have a great deal of time in at card rooms (probably 150 hours lifetime, vs ~2000 online), and for all I know I may be giving off a damaging tell, or missing some tells that serious live players pick up.

I think very poor players usually play worse online- sepcifically, the type that just want to gamble and do not have big egos or a lot of self-confidence. The shame induced in some players by hitting runner-runner in front of 9 other people is much greater than one or two guys screaming at you in a chat window. Also, the "What the hell are you thinking?"-type comments are much more difficult to deflect live- weakies generally have to at least address the questioner with a shrug, which will usually make it worse because they realize that they have no response and that the entire table is aware of that. You can just not respond when you're online.

All of this adds up to some poor players playing slightly less badly live just so they don't have to deal with the disapproving stares of their opponents, but they don't have that motivation online. This, of course, goes back to the general rule that you do not berate weakies in your cardroom so that they do not play better or leave to avoid the ridicule.

2ndGoat

LetsRock 08-29-2004 08:16 PM

I know I'm more "successful" on-line, but I don't think I play any different live or on-line. If anything, I play just a little looser preflop when live. I can get a better read on the table and am a little more willing to see flops with smaller suited connectors when I can more easily predict who's gonna raise, who's gonna call etc.

Other than that, my game plan and execution is the same as far as I can tell.

(In case you're wondering, this is NOT what causes my live sessions to be less successful then my on-line play. I seem to get lots of cold cards and lots of amazing suck-outs.)

xrongor 08-30-2004 02:44 AM

live games offer two huge advantages imho.

1) you can put a player on a hand much easier especially if you know his tells. this advantage is huge.

2) i think its easier to tell if you are being hustled.