Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Stock Market (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Short Term Investing (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=139538)

gjm112 10-23-2004 02:38 PM

Short Term Investing

I've made a few grand playing cards and sports betting. Now I want to invest it in some sort of investment. What are good short term low risk investments?

GeorgeF 10-23-2004 09:19 PM

Re: Short Term Investing

Vanguard short term bond or Inflation protected. Pimco total return. Or just a regular bank account.

With the US$ falling consider a foreign currency bank account at www.everbank.com.

NLSoldier 10-25-2004 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've made a few grand playing cards and sports betting. Now I want to invest it in some sort of investment. What are good short term low risk investments?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, i was going to post this exact same question. But i think i am more interested in like some medium to high risk, short term stocks...does that make any sense?

moondogg 10-26-2004 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are looking to make money investing in the short term, you are gambling. Craps and blackjack is more fun, and it generally has a small house edge (i.e. commission) than short term investments.

IMHO.

NLSoldier 10-28-2004 04:57 AM

Hmm this is kinda depressing to hear. Thanks for the info though.

drewjustdrew 10-29-2004 08:27 PM

He mentioned low risk.

If you want low risk obviously you aren't going to get much return. I have a savings account at geinterestplus.com. If you have over 20000 in it you get 2%. Less than that balance and I think you get 1.75%.

otherwise, cds get similar rates, but mine has checking

AceHigh 10-29-2004 08:56 PM

How about NFI? Pays a 13% div right now and is a growing company.

DesertCat 10-30-2004 12:28 AM

NFI is high risk. Some people I know and respect have done very well with it and feel they understand it well. But I'm not as smart as they and can't feel comfortble, so I've stayed out. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who can't read and understand it's quarterly filings, business model and business risks.

AceHigh 10-30-2004 09:43 AM

I don't think it's high risk, it's dividend has been very stable. It's price varies greatly, buy when the yield is high. REITs are much safer as far as fraud, than other companies because they pay out so much of there earnings in dividends. It's very difficult to lie about earnings when you have to pay out 90% of your earnings at the end of the year.

adios 10-30-2004 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NFI is high risk. Some people I know and respect have done very well with it and feel they understand it well. But I'm not as smart as they and can't feel comfortble, so I've stayed out. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who can't read and understand it's quarterly filings, business model and business risks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That problem of understanding their business model and quarterly earnings is easily solved:

NFI Investors Site

Chock full of info in NFI earnings and business model.