Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Grilling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=283075)

mantasm 06-29-2005 04:13 PM

Grilling

My girlfriend's mom came by our house and brought us a big new gas grill. I've never used one. I tried to cook some ribeyes I had, but I burned all but one half of one of the steaks.

Any of you old married dudes have any tips or recipes for me? Also, am I supposed to close the top when I'm grilling?

eric5148 06-29-2005 04:17 PM

Re: Grilling

Get some books by Steven Raichlen. He also has a PBS show.

Vote4Pedro 06-29-2005 04:21 PM

When I first started using a gas grill I had similar problems. Now I start off with all burners on High and let it sit for awhile with the top closed. Then when I'm ready to throw the meat on, I turn the middle burner off and lower the outside burners to low. This takes a little longer, but produces a nice evenly cooked steak. And yes, close the BBQ when the meat is on.

samjjones 06-29-2005 04:22 PM

Turn the heat all the way up, let it preheat for 5 minutes, and then throw your steaks on. Shouldn't be more than 5 minutes a side (turn only once).

chaas4747 06-29-2005 04:24 PM

It takes some getting used to. Low heat is always good. See if you can get a thermometer to check the temp in the grill. This will make it easier to regulate the heat.

eric5148 06-29-2005 04:26 PM

And one more thing:

Charcoal pwns gas.

CollinEstes 06-29-2005 04:26 PM

Just have to keep trying, but letting the grill pre-heat as the others have mentioned will help, I don't think you have to close the lid but with the lid open it will probably take longer to cook. If you burned them I would lower the heat. Also if you are cooking at night bring out a flashlight that way you can see the color of the inside of the meat well enough to make a judgement.

Bobby Flay has some killer grilling recipes in Boy Meets Grill, but they are not easy.

samjjones 06-29-2005 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And one more thing:

Charcoal pwns gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

For taste, I don't think anybody would disagree with this. But propane grills are just so much easier/quicker...

guller 06-29-2005 04:28 PM

Think of a gas grill like an outdoor oven. Don't just put the flames on full and toss something on it. Cook most of your stuff on indirect heat.

Indirect grilling method:

If you have a 3 burner grill turn off the middle burner and set the outside 2 burners to medium or low. Grill everything over the extinguished burner at about 350-400 deg. F. with the lid closed.

Cooking Steaks:

Ribeye 3/4" to 1" thick:

1. All burners on full. Sear steak for 2 minutes on one side only.
2. Turn grill to indirect heat method.
3. Flip steak and cook for 4-6 minutes on the non-seared side.
4. Flip back over to the seared side (add a quarter turn rotation here if you want nice grill marks)
5. Grill for another 4-6 minutes.

Perfect medium rare.

Cook times will vary depending upon your exact temp, hot spots, etc.

Good Luck

kevyk 06-29-2005 04:34 PM

His books pwn. Start with The Barbeque! Bible and move up to BBQ USA when you get more advanced.

I roasted a whole pig at my sister's graduation party using one of his recipes.