Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   $22 Good Fold? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=337271)

Olback 09-15-2005 05:12 AM

$22 Good Fold?

Eurobet $22 sng

Jojos had been playing tight and the size of the raise (blinds were 75/150) made me think she had a monster here so i folded.

Does anyone not fold here?

#Game No : 2714202260
***** Hand History for Game 2714202260 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:15750891 Level:5 Blinds(75/150) - Thursday, September 15, 02:51:11 EDT 2005
Table Table 13809 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: Olback1 ( $1435 )
Seat 2: MangoBluntz ( $955 )
Seat 3: jojos1 ( $3160 )
Seat 8: bob_73 ( $795 )
Seat 10: DrOdivad ( $1655 )
Trny:15750891 Level:5
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Olback1 [ Ac Kh ]
jojos1 is all-In [3160]
bob_73 folds.
DrOdivad folds.
Olback1 folds.
MangoBluntz folds.

Pete H 09-15-2005 05:38 AM

Re: $22 Good Fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Eurobet $22 sng

Jojos had been playing tight and the size of the raise (blinds were 75/150) made me think she had a monster here so i folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a tight low level player has a monster, does he/she usually:

a) limp or minraise to get action for his/her invinsible hand
b) shove all his/her chips in and scream: "I have a monster, please all go away!"

If the raiser has been really tight, I suspect something like 77-QQ, AQ+ for a range.

Don't have SNGPT at work, but I'd probably fold this, especially if stealing has been easy.
EDIT: And of course this includes a read that this raiser is really tight and wouldn't do this with AJ or KQ.

NP: Peer Günt - Middle Age Teenage

diebitter 09-15-2005 05:46 AM

This is a coin-flip, and depends on the players I think

It's a high pair or Ak/AQ, maybe AJs, but not AA or KK unless you got a maniac there, and the raiser is trying to goad that person.

If it were me, I'd play it if the table was very tight/staid where the play's gonna be predictable. On such a table, you need a little luck to get on, given your stack size and the current blinds. You win this hand on such a table, you get to the money for sure.

If it's a wild table or there's one wild player mixing it up, I'd fold. Typically, staying tight on such a table will get you to the money too given your stack size and blinds.

Pete H 09-15-2005 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were me, I'd play it if the table was very tight/staid where the play's gonna be predictable. On such a table, you need a little luck to get on, given your stack size and the current blinds. You win this hand on such a table, you get to the money for sure.

If it's a wild table or there's one wild player mixing it up, I'd fold. Typically, staying tight on such a table will get you to the money too given your stack size and blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree 100%.

In a tight table stealing is easy and you can fold to most raises (that are rare) from other players, 'cos they'll have a hand.

In a wild table you don't get that many stealing spots, and most of the time you'll have to win a coin flip to get ITM.

NP: Peer Günt - King Of The Hill

diebitter 09-15-2005 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree 100%.

In a tight table stealing is easy and you can fold to most raises (that are rare) from other players, 'cos they'll have a hand.

In a wild table you don't get that many stealing spots, and most of the time you'll have to win a coin flip to get ITM.

NP: Peer Günt - King Of The Hill

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree about the stealing - but you think just stealing gets you in the money? Only on a very passive table. And given the blinds described here and the number of players left, stealing will be happening all around, so I think stealing here is mostly neutral unless it's weak-tight central.

The wild table thing - I disagree partly with you - you play good hands only or bluff very occasionally to take advantage of your table image at this point (which I think we'd probably agree on), that's how to get in the money. Okay it might end up as a coinflip, but often it's not (you're QQ will see a QT or JT for example). The wildness is what busts out the other players - not you. What I find with say a single wild guy, his stack will be up and down, but if you're lucky, it'll be the others that bust out against him, not the other way around. I typically find there's 3 of us left, me with a mid-size stack, and the other 2 with a small and large stack respectively. If wildman's been lucky, he'll be the big. The small is usually easy to bust. I virtually always get at least second on such tables unless I get a bad beat getting there (I don't man AK against QQ so-called 'bad beat', I mean stuff like QQ getting cracked by KJ, for example)

09-15-2005 06:14 AM

If you think of folding AK here how often do you think Villian will go all-in with 23o to make it profitable for him?
your other opponents all have enough chips to scare you - I am pretty sure you will need to win a coin-flip to get into the money - so I prefer coin-flips with good hands and enough chips left.
Villian will not play AA KK this way and may be he just decided that it is time to start the bully-race. It is not that rare to play tight (and good) to a certain moment and as soon as you decide the other guys can't hurt you to much to go all-in with any two to push the table around.

Giving all that: Easy call in my opinion (still it would be nice to get killed for this advice from the more veteran posters).

CU at the 22 - especially in the bubble ;-)

Olback 09-15-2005 08:17 PM

If the blinds were higher, it would be an autocall. But at the blinds this low and the person having never done this before i figure i do not need to gamble on a potential 50/50 here when i just steal blinds at a later date.

BTW the guy showed j,j.

09-15-2005 08:41 PM

If villian is like most 22s, his all in raise indicates a mid pocket pair (66-TT). 55 and JJ also included. He doesn't want ot see a flop because most will have 2-3 overcards. You will rarely see a hand you dominate here unless villian is a total maniac.

I fold and steal blinds / double up later.

Pete H 09-16-2005 02:19 AM

Checked this out with SNGPT at home and results were quite surprising (for me at least).

It's a fold, but I thought it would be much closer than it actually was.

I thought with range like 77-QQ, AT+ this would be call, but it's a fold even with that range.

IIRC if you only include pairs 77-QQ, villain needs to push with A5+ to make this a call, and this range doesn't make any sense.

Easy fold against anything but a maniac.

NP: The Haunted - Hate Song