Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Poker Games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What is two pair good for in limit Omaha Hi ? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=308246)

08-05-2005 03:48 AM

What is two pair good for in limit Omaha Hi ?

Hi. I see two pair take down an occasional pot so should I be betting a top and bottom two pair in the right situations ?

For example:

Focus on post flop here. I know I ROYALLY messed up the preflop street.

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

It is capped preflop between 5 players. Yes, I called every raise. Not good.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] pot= $10

Hero bets .50
BB calls
EP1 calls
MP calls
LP calls

Should I bet here because the pot is $10 and I could possibly take it down and have the best hand or should I not even bother ? The pot was so big so I bet. If the pot was $4 , though maybe my decision would be different and a check would be better ? Also, I saw the flop against 4 others and not 7 players so I figure my odds were better. Thanks.

BTW, I ended up checking the turn and river and lost to a flush on the river.

lucas9000 08-05-2005 09:04 AM

Re: What is two pair good for in limit Omaha Hi ?

i don't play limit omaha, but i can tell you that you have NO chance of taking this down with a bet on the flop. your opponents are getting 20+:1 odds on your bet. considering the preflop action, that board likely gives at least one or two players draws, so unless they're complete chimps they're not folding when getting 20+:1, even if their draw is totally mediocre.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I bet here because the pot is $10 and I could possibly take it down and have the best hand or should I not even bother ? The pot was so big so I bet. If the pot was $4 , though maybe my decision would be different and a check would be better ?

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to read theory of poker. your .50 bet is more likely to take down the small $4 pot you mentioned that the $10 pot, contrary to what you said. this is really a poker fundamental.

i would check this flop, and call one bet. if this post came off as overly harsh i didn't mean it, i just want to emphasize that you should read theory of poker and get some fundamentals down.

08-05-2005 06:38 PM

I have read TOP. Well, up to just pass the Semi-bluffing chapters which is about 80 % complete. I don't like reading.

I hear you , though but what is the point of giving people infinite odds ?

lucas9000 08-05-2005 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
though but what is the point of giving people infinite odds ?

[/ QUOTE ]

your bet there is -ev. reread top.

IronDragon1 08-06-2005 12:04 AM

Fold the flop

STOP PLAYING LIMIT OMAHA!

08-06-2005 07:45 AM

Why stop playing limit omaha ? If you know how to play, its major +EV . Where else online are you going to find a .50/1 limit game with 65 % seeing the flop ?

sy_or_bust 08-06-2005 11:14 AM

I think he is referring to major holes in your Limit Hi game. If you aren't against at least one big set and a flush draw on the flop, I'd be shocked. You have a great Hi/Lo hand, but unfortunately that doesn't matter.

leading the flop + reading TOP = [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

IronDragon1 08-07-2005 01:34 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I think he is referring to major holes in your Limit Hi game. If you aren't against at least one big set and a flush draw on the flop, I'd be shocked. You have a great Hi/Lo hand, but unfortunately that doesn't matter.

leading the flop + reading TOP = [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes-the OP seems (like many when they first start playing any form of Omaha) stuck on a holdem-esque ranking of hands.

But limit omaha is terrible terrible torture and shouldn't be played by anyone for reason other than to torture onesself.

08-07-2005 05:31 AM

I use hutchison.

ChuckyB 08-07-2005 05:42 PM

What's wrong with limit Omaha? Too many draws make no one hand much of a favorite--thus everyone sees the river?