Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Talk me out of buying this vehicle... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=307383)

TT_fold 08-04-2005 02:32 AM

Talk me out of buying this vehicle...

Somebody please give me a good reason not to spring for this 2002 Cadillac Escalade. IT BELONGED TO JEROME BETTIS FOR CHRISSAKES!!! You have to click the link, this vehicle is unbelievable.

Here's some background on me:

I'm 18 years old, I live in Connecticut, and I'm attending Boston College in September.

I have 20K total in the bank + on PartyPoker, nearly all of which has come from playing SNGs (I have no job). I could scrape together another couple G's in less than 5 days by selling off my football and basketball card collections. Money-wise, I'm not THAT far off from buying this car.

I currently 14-table the $55 SNGs. If need be, I believe I could borrow the remaining 10K or 15K that will be required to win this auction (this comparable customized Escalade went for 36K). My grandmother is very rich, and I am extremely confident that I could repay a loan from her in a month or two max. I have no intention of mooching off anyone to buy this car.

Insurance, gas, title & registration fees - all of these would take care of themselves if I could just buy myself some time. I am willing to play 2,000-3,000 SNGs this month (and 1,500 a month while I'm in college) to ensure that I repay all my loans by October 1st at the latest.

Somebody talk me out of this outrageous plan!

chuddo 08-04-2005 02:34 AM

Re: Talk me out of buying this vehicle...

the fact i don't like that color of blue would be reason enough for me to pass on it.

rollingdirty 08-04-2005 02:35 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

DasLeben 08-04-2005 02:36 AM

It has spinners, and is the most hoodrich thing I've ever seen. JMO, though.

But just remember:

http://img47.echo.cx/img47/4271/birdmanneverfold1yi.jpg

The Ocho 08-04-2005 02:37 AM

If you are white, you will look like a huge tool in this car.

Also, The Bus is a fat-ass, so I'm sure the seats are busted and covered in mustard stains.

Lastly, college is for getting drunk and laid, not 4-tabling $50 SnGs.

Macdaddy Warsaw 08-04-2005 02:39 AM

I think the camera lens has vaseline on it. WTF?

TT_fold 08-04-2005 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will help you. Nothing says White Trash like a Caddie. The only worse car you could maybe get would be the Mustang or Corvette they scream White Trash with Small Penis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the Escalade has a drug dealer/athlete rep. But just consider what it would be like to own a car that used to belong to an NFL superstar. Usually, a sports car this "cool" would run for 6 digits... but here I have a chance to buy an extremely unique car for 35K. The vertical doors + the former owner outweigh all the cons IMO.

Keep the posts coming

Claunchy 08-04-2005 02:40 AM

If I had 20 grand sitting around, Jerome Bettis' old Escalade could very well be the last thing in the world I would spend it on.

If you must get a car, at least get an Acura for Chrissakes.

Shilly 08-04-2005 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I currently 14-table the $55 SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a typo?

TT_fold 08-04-2005 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are white, you will look like a huge tool in this car.

Also, The Bus is a fat-ass, so I'm sure the seats are busted and covered in mustard stains.

Lastly, college is for getting drunk and laid, not 4-tabling $50 SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm white... yeah, I'll look like a tool... whatever, it will still turn heads and it's a cool vehicle regardless of the rep.

But I live in a suburban town (Milford), where no one drives an Escalade. It's not as if I live in a place where there are a lot of Escalades on the road and I'll be the only white kid driving one.

TT_fold 08-04-2005 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I currently 14-table the $55 SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a typo?

[/ QUOTE ]

No typo...

I copied Raptor and bought the exact same 4-monitor setup (2001FPs) and stand. I'll post a digital pic tomorrow afternoon when someone else is awake to take the pic for me (I would take the pic myself but I don't want to look like a MySpace tool holding my own camera).

rollingdirty 08-04-2005 02:43 AM

Macdaddy Warsaw 08-04-2005 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will help you. Nothing says White Trash like a Caddie. The only worse car you could maybe get would be the Mustang or Corvette they scream White Trash with Small Penis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the Escalade has a drug dealer/athlete rep. But just consider what it would be like to own a car that used to belong to an NFL superstar. Usually, a sports car this "cool" would run for 6 digits... but here I have a chance to buy an extremely unique car for 35K. The vertical doors + the former owner outweigh all the cons IMO.

Keep the posts coming

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't references the drug dealer aspect. I was referring to Caddies in general, they are what poor people aspire to own. They are junk dude your 18 pimp an Audi or something you will get more ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Get an audi, because if I had the money to blow on this thing, I wouldn't be blowing it on this thing, and whenever I see audi I think sexy. Get an audi, get some ass. This man's advice is awesome.

TT_fold 08-04-2005 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep the posts coming

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't references the drug dealer aspect. I was referring to Caddies in general, they are what poor people aspire to own. They are junk dude your 18 pimp an Audi or something you will get more ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your drift... I don't know, to me I'd come across as more of a tool by buying some lame sports car like every other kid with money. If I get this Escalade, impressing girls will not be one of my main motivating factors. It's cheesy in my mind to aspire to a sedan like all the other kids in my demographic group.

razor 08-04-2005 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point? It's not like anyone who would come up with this 'plan' is gonna listen to reason...

Macdaddy Warsaw 08-04-2005 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep the posts coming

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your drift... I don't know, to me I'd come across as more of a tool by buying some lame sports car like every other kid with money. If I get this Escalade, impressing girls will not be one of my main motivating factors. It's cheesy in my mind to aspire to a sedan like all the other kids in my demographic group.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, learn to drive stick and get an Acura RSX-S Type. I have an RSX (not S-type ::cri::), and it's a pretty sweet vehicle. Also, as long as you're not dating women absolutely rolling in it, it doesn't do too bad to "look impressive" or whatever.

DasLeben 08-04-2005 02:50 AM

Being completely serious for a second, if you want a large SUV for this price range (used, of course), get a BMW X5. You can find them with the same mileage as this Escalade at the same price. You do not want GM, trust me.

Plus, you'll be driving something respectable.

Macdaddy Warsaw 08-04-2005 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being completely serious for a second, if you want a large SUV for this price range (used, of course), get a BMW X5. You can find them with the same mileage as this Escalade at the same price. You do not want GM, trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a complete tangent, but a family friend drives one of those Porsche SUVs as a company car, and I thought a Porsche SUV was totally silly but then I got inside of his and it's awesome. That is all.

rollingdirty 08-04-2005 02:52 AM

DasLeben 08-04-2005 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a complete tangent, but a family friend drives one of those Porsche SUVs as a company car, and I thought a Porsche SUV was totally silly but then I got inside of his and it's awesome. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cayenne? Yep, those things are excellent. My friend's dad has a Cayenne S, and it's an amazing vehicle. It's fast, handles extremely well for an SUV, and is luxurious as hell.

That said, good luck finding one for $25k within the next 8-10 years. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

SCfuji 08-04-2005 02:55 AM

think about what has happened in this suv.

TT_fold 08-04-2005 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep the posts coming

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you lying to of course girls are your motivating factor you are 18 its cool we were there. My point is something classy not cheesey. You are right you may be too young for an audi. There is always volkswagen's Suv. Anything just not a Caddie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my take on it - I would find it extremely sleazy if girls were interested in me only because of my car. Of course I'm interested in girls, but I think it's tacky to try to impress them with money. I highly highly doubt I will actually buy this Escalade, but I think you understand where I'm coming from with this argument.

FatalError 08-04-2005 02:57 AM

Don't destroy your bankroll, i live in boston and that car is a little over the top for it (not to mention there is no parking for frosh at BC and it's all residential in the area)

I recommend you keep playing SnG's for another year work on your studies and pick up a car next summer, just get a nice non ghetto coupe sports car to pick up all the jcrew clone girlies at your school in and pay it off on a 60 month loan to avoid putting your bankroll in danger

i'm speaking from experience... i'm 21 just graduated from college in boston and despite making alot of money playing poker JUST got my first car... albeit a sick one

tinga81 08-04-2005 02:57 AM

I lived in a college town where vehicle's would get trashed on a regular basis (mainly drunkasses on the walk home from the bar), or they would get robbed of something from the vehicle.

After seeing the vehicle (it's not too bad, just may be a lot more in gas along the way), I'm sure it would be a target to theft/vandalism. Have you thought about a plan to keep this out of public view?

TT_fold 08-04-2005 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think about what has happened in this suv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weed? whatever, I can't say I wouldn't smoke in this vehicle

Sleazy hoes? that is a bit weird, haha

Still, they weren't just any hoes, they were JEROME BETTIS's! That's gotta be worth something.

TT_fold 08-04-2005 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lived in a college town where vehicle's would get trashed on a regular basis (mainly drunkasses on the walk home from the bar), or they would get robbed of something from the vehicle.

After seeing the vehicle (it's not too bad, just may be a lot more in gas along the way), I'm sure it would be a target to theft/vandalism. Have you thought about a plan to keep this out of public view?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually my #1 concern. In response to another poster, I don't actually plan to drive the car to Boston as a freshman, because it would be so difficult to find parking, plus I don't need a car up there anyway. It would be for the 4-month summer break, winter break, and other breaks. As an upperclassman, I'd consider driving it in Boston.

I'm guessing I would just park it in my parents' garage while I'm at school.

SCfuji 08-04-2005 03:01 AM

you can do better for 20Gs. the market adds some value to the car just because it was bettis'. to be honest, unless you are insanely rich, its a waste of money.

TT_fold 08-04-2005 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't destroy your bankroll, i live in boston and that car is a little over the top for it (not to mention there is no parking for frosh at BC and it's all residential in the area)

I recommend you keep playing SnG's for another year work on your studies and pick up a car next summer, just get a nice non ghetto coupe sports car to pick up all the jcrew clone girlies at your school in and pay it off on a 60 month loan to avoid putting your bankroll in danger

i'm speaking from experience... i'm 21 just graduated from college in boston and despite making alot of money playing poker JUST got my first car... albeit a sick one

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be worried about destroying my bankroll, but I prefer to just crush the lower games than move up to the $109s and $215s, which I tried in the past with limited success... I only need $1650 (or conservatively, $2750) for the $55s, and I could even drop to the $33s with 50 buyins if need be. Right now I am WAY overbankrolled for the games I play. It would be tough but I think if I play a ton of games in August and then return to a normal pace of 2-3 hours a day during the school year that I can afford to buy the Caddy.

08-04-2005 03:10 AM

Your reasons for buying this are callow, but I say go for it- in about ten years or so, you will have learned the error of your ways. You are way too set on saying, "Yeah, you like it? You know who I bought if from?" for anyone to talk you out of it.

So I say, blow the cash, but please save some for the PokerStars 100-200, (8pm EST) thanks.

The4Aces 08-04-2005 03:16 AM

I live in Kansas and actually more rich white people drive escalades than black people. The Escalade seems to be what rich white people around here want.

I say dont buy the car. You will look like a jackass riding around in it.

tinga81 08-04-2005 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, they weren't just any hoes, they were JEROME BETTIS's! That's gotta be worth something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this like that episode of Seinfeld, when George Costanza buys Jo(h)n Voight's car for the specific reason that he owned it?

Make sure Jerome Bettis is spelled correctly, make sure Jerome Betis didn't own this car.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The4Aces 08-04-2005 03:19 AM

Also just out of curiosity you say you play 14 tables in SETS does that men you play all 14 to completion then re-start a new 14?

nubs 08-04-2005 03:50 AM

I think you have to buy this car. I mean, Jerome Bettis owned the car. JEROME BETTIS!!! Dont for get the sweet vertical doors, spinners and pimpin paint job. Honestly it is the sickest thing ever, you better buy it before I do. Seriously, i may fly across the country and drive it home. I mean, you'd be crazy not to buy this. Think of it as an inverstment! Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention all of the skeezy 2 bit floozies you'll be picking up in your pimp mobile!!! Floozies!!!

fimbulwinter 08-04-2005 04:10 AM

the problem is that if you buy this car everyone will know how tiny your penis is.

fim

daveymck 08-04-2005 04:22 AM

Its a cadillac which is reason enough for me to not want one, the interior as well looks incredibley cheap and nasty all that plastic and horrible switchgear. If you can get an X5 for the same price as that then I would go for that everytime.

Is it standard for 18 year olds to drive huge cars like that over there? cos over here an 18-21 year old would be paying ridiculous insurance on somthing like that (maybe$4-5k a year) and for a first or second car to me its asking for accidents.

Who cares who owned it previous as long as they have had it serviced regular it doesnt matter who it was.

Stellastarr 08-04-2005 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody please give me a good reason not to spring for this 2002 Cadillac Escalade. IT BELONGED TO JEROME BETTIS FOR CHRISSAKES!!! You have to click the link, this vehicle is unbelievable.

Here's some background on me:

I'm 18 years old, I live in Connecticut, and I'm attending Boston College in September.

I have 20K total in the bank + on PartyPoker, nearly all of which has come from playing SNGs (I have no job). I could scrape together another couple G's in less than 5 days by selling off my football and basketball card collections. Money-wise, I'm not THAT far off from buying this car.

I currently 14-table the $55 SNGs. If need be, I believe I could borrow the remaining 10K or 15K that will be required to win this auction (this comparable customized Escalade went for 36K). My grandmother is very rich, and I am extremely confident that I could repay a loan from her in a month or two max. I have no intention of mooching off anyone to buy this car.

Insurance, gas, title & registration fees - all of these would take care of themselves if I could just buy myself some time. I am willing to play 2,000-3,000 SNGs this month (and 1,500 a month while I'm in college) to ensure that I repay all my loans by October 1st at the latest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be Marty McFly!

dibbs 08-04-2005 04:26 AM

If I were you I'd be quite leary of bringing this to park around BC in the fall. A consideration anyways.

KaneKungFu123 08-04-2005 04:36 AM

if you buy this you are a giant tool.

PassiveCaller 08-04-2005 04:43 AM

You people. what's amatter with you all? You need to be encouraging such purchases. How could he live without Jerome Bettis' escalade. Forget about saving for real estate or investments. It's all about buying the Bus' ride. Plus then he can take the floozies in the back and bang them like the Bus would.

Yes he will certainly be missing out if he doesn't get this Escalade. Buy it now before someone else goes insane and get s it quicker er no I mean gets the honor of this awesome vehicle.

Did I mention out he'd be missing out if he doesn't get this escalade?

tinga81 08-04-2005 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You could be Marty McFly!

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious answer is clear...

Delorean > Escalade

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...1/Delorean.jpg