Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Rosa Parks dead at 92 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364758)

Sponger15SB 10-25-2005 12:29 PM

Re: Rosa Parks dead at 92

[ QUOTE ]
I should have learned more about her. My knowledge of Black History is limited to Spike Lee movies. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is sad because on my list of "two plus twoers most likely to be black before I met them" you were #2

You should study up on your almost heritage.

Boris 10-25-2005 12:46 PM

Don't get your hopes up. Scalf hasn't logged in yet.

Blarg 10-25-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, she didn't just happen to be in the right place at the right time. The protest was planned in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. she had training on non-violent protesting, but the protest was not at all planned. the protest was so effective partly b/c everyone was shocked it was her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. MLK himself was in on the planning. Nothing about it was unplanned.

pryor15 10-25-2005 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, she didn't just happen to be in the right place at the right time. The protest was planned in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. she had training on non-violent protesting, but the protest was not at all planned. the protest was so effective partly b/c everyone was shocked it was her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. MLK himself was in on the planning. Nothing about it was unplanned.

[/ QUOTE ]

not according to her close friends and leaders of the Montgomery Improvement Assoc. i've talked to them. they say it wasn't planned. they were there for the whole thing. that's good enough for me.

pokerdirty 10-25-2005 02:39 PM

had it not been for Rosa Parks, i would not have been able to sit in the back of the bus on the way to school with the cool kids, but rather in the front near the stinky bus driver. thank you for your contribution to society. you will be missed.

Blarg 10-25-2005 02:41 PM

Then the PBS documentary must have been wrong.

It was propaganda, though. I don't fully expect people to be completely honest about propaganda, especially when they're involved in it directly. The story is much more powerful when it is portrayed as a sort of accident. And who could be more innocently wronged than a little old lady?

istewart 10-25-2005 02:51 PM

Uhh, MLK was definitely behind it. It wasn't some heat-of-the-moment thing.

private joker 10-25-2005 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I should have learned more about her. My knowledge of Black History is limited to Spike Lee movies. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is sad because on my list of "two plus twoers most likely to be black before I met them" you were #2

You should study up on your almost heritage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was being fairly facetious here. I did study up on Frederick Douglass, Harriet Beacher Stowe, the underground railroad, the '60s activists like Huey P. Newton, and of course my favorite novelist is Richard Wright.

But my point is that aside from "Bamboozled," not a lot is getting through our current pop culture on the subject.

arod15 10-25-2005 07:12 PM

RIP