Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   irrational fears (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=242271)

daryn 04-29-2005 12:25 PM

Re: irrational fears

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Anything thats smaller than a dime and can do this. Caution, it's not pretty.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have seen that before. that's not what i'm talking about when i say "afraid of spiders"

although it would be irrational if you refused to ever put on shoes again, just because of the very very slight chance one could be in there.

chaas4747 04-29-2005 12:25 PM

I don't understand, if I have a story/excuse then wouldn't they be rational fears.

I am afraid of spiders, and even more so after that [censored] thread the other day. No reason, they just freak me out.

InchoateHand 04-29-2005 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a reason they r called phonbias

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because they hatefully and viciously discriminate against phones?

tbach24 04-29-2005 12:27 PM

spiders really bother me. i'm not sure why, maybe because they're so bizarre looking. i think that people with reckless abandon are worse than those who are cautious tho

kerssens 04-29-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is fear of heights irrational? Its not as much a fear now as it was when I was younger but there are times when I get nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends.. are you afraid when you are clearly in a safe situation, or are you hanging from a piece of dental floss from the outside of a skyscraper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't say I've ever been hanging from a skyscraper, pretty sure I'd need to change my pants from that experience. When I was younger even most safe places would make me nervous, like being at the window of my dad's 30th floor office but now it doesn't bother me so I guess I'm over it.

xadrez 04-29-2005 12:39 PM

Jellyfish, and I have no frikkin clue why.

I dont care how hot it is, if I see one of those f'ers in water I wont go back in.

Rhone 04-29-2005 12:42 PM

I have a fear that someone will push me onto the tracks when I'm waiting for the subway. It may have started with that famous Homicide episode with Vincent D'Onofrio, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't let it ruin my life or anything, I just step back toward the middle of the platform until the train arrives.

tbach24 04-29-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jellyfish, and I have no frikkin clue why.

I dont care how hot it is, if I see one of those f'ers in water I wont go back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause they hurt a lot and travel in packs. For science dudes out there, what are those things inside of them that look like chopped up peppers?

InchoateHand 04-29-2005 12:47 PM

I'm not a science dude, but obviously there are more than one species of jellyfish. You'll have to be more specific. For what its worth, my favorite is the lion jellyfish---a "body" in excess of ten feet with tentacles extending to two hundred. Sea turtles close their eyes and just swim right on in.

Los Feliz Slim 04-29-2005 12:47 PM

I would think a fear of spiders can be considered at least SOMEWHAT rational, in that it could help prevent you from being bitten by a poisonous spider.

I'm pretty afraid of dying, which is an irrational fear because it's inevitable. Fearing it isn't going to do me any good at all.