PDA

View Full Version : Forrest McDonald

Zeno
07-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Forrest McDonald is (was) being interviewed on C-SPAN 2 Book notes. Historian extraordinary he is quite a remarkable person. And well respected I gather. He has a low opinion of Zinn (Sp?) and Chomsky as historians (McDonald made no mentioned of Chomsky as a linguist were he is without question very able). But MacDonald called much of Chomsky's and Zinn's writing - nonsense. And that was it.

I think the interview will air again soon and it is ongoing at the moment. It is long, about 3 hours, but is worth listening to.

-Zeno

andyfox
07-05-2004, 01:16 AM
He's a triumphalist and any criticism of his version of history will of course be treated as nonsense by him.

Are you the guy that watches C-Span-2 Book Notes? I thought it was John Cole.

Zeno
07-05-2004, 01:37 AM
I suspect he is biased to his verisions and interpertations of history and ideas but he is very knowlegdeable and articulate. Whether you agree or disagree with all his 'opinions' ideas, or blowing on his own horn, he is worth listening to, in my opinion.

I am watching C-Span-2 Book Notes. John Cole only watches movies and the Red Sox lose to the Yanks. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno