PDA

View Full Version : How to Beat Up the Las Vegas Pros-Part 2

01-24-2002, 05:51 PM
Part 2 of Beating Up on the Las Vegas Professionals begins with choosing a persona. There are many different persona you can adopt, each of which must be established differently and which are exploited differently. This is where you can excercise your creativity.

Perhaps the easiest persona to adopt is that of the small town player taking a shot in the "big" Bellagio game, but in awe of the big time Las Vegas professionals. Imagine that you are one of the unfortunate masses who live in a town with no public cardroom or that the largest regularly spread game at the local indian reservation is a $9-$18.

Of course when you sit down in the game, the regulars are going to size you up so you want to feed them some seemingly reliable information so that they will pigeonhole you into one of their standard stereotypes.

Here is phase one of your gameplan:

1) Take your banroll, separate $600 and place it in your wallet and put the rest in your shoe. When you buy in be sure to let everyone get a good glance at your billfold and see how much money you have. The easiest thing to do is to take the bills out of your wallet, spread the bills, and pluck out $300. Buy in for the minimum--$300 in the $30-$60 HE. Make it look like you have only $600 to gamble with and that your chips mean a lot to you.

If you are married it might help to have your wife sit behind sporting a disapproving demeanor--as if she thinks you are an idiot for wasting the family savings on something as speculative as poker.

If your wife/girlfriend actually thinks this so much the better. Keep her in the dark about your master plan and let her act naturally.

If you really want to push it, have your wife take the money out of her purse and hand it to you to buy in with.

2) Start off playing a very limited number of starting hands. Some guidelines (see Ciaffonne, Improve Your Poker p. 54 for more detail):

A) Do not defend your blinds or try to steal the blinds with borderline hands.

B) Do not raise the pot without AQ or 99. In fact, don't raise the pot at all without AK or AA, KK, QQ, or JJ.

C) Do not bet after the flop without having top pair or better except to take one stab on the flop if the pot is short handed or raggedy cards come.

D) Do not call a raise cold unless you were going to raise yourself.

3) If you happen to win a hand without a showdown, let the person who folded when you bet see your hand. For instance if you have Ax, an ace flops, you bet, and the person folds, flash him the ace to let him know that you are a "solid" player who rarely gets out of line.

4) Look at your cards and if you are going to muck throw you hand away very quickly. The idea is that you have a fixed idea of what hands you are going to play, you look at your cards, and if you don't see a premium hand, you immediately muck. You want it to look like you view your hand in absolute terms rather than using the sophisticated criteria of a skilled player, e.g. three betting to get heads up, re-raising a raiser trying to get heads up, raising in the small blind to drive out the big blind, calling with small pairs only if you are likely to get 5-way action etc.

5) Display a few standard but not obvious tells. Some good ones are calling quickly when you have a draw and re-checking your cards when three cards to a flush flop or appear on the turn, and staring at the flop when the flop misses.

6) Display a few wannabe PPP mannerisms such as not looking at your cards until the action gets to you or very consciously betting with the exact same timing, motion, and stacking action.

7) It is important during Phase 1 that you avoid certain standard plays such as betting a scare card e.g. when a ace turns in a heads up or 3-way pot, betting on the river when the third flush card hits and you don't have a flush, or betting into the field when a pair flops and you don't have trips. If you try any of these moves and get caught, it will ruin your image.

If you do this for about an hour, the Las Vegas professionals will stereotype you as a weak tight novice talking a shot in the "big" game. You are playing cautiously because you are in awe of the big time Las Vegas professionals and are afraid to make a fool of yourself by, for instance, raising without the the nuts.

It will be established in their minds that you are only betting when you have a big hand, check calling with merely good hands and 8+ out draws, and check folding mediocre and weak hands (second pair, top pair/no kicker, etc.).

Phase 1 should take about an hour.

Here is Phase 2 of your plan.

You have established in their minds that you are a weak tight player who will only bet the nuts, now you are going to exploit this false image.

You are going to use one or a combination of 3 tools, the pre-flop re-raise, the check-raise on the flop, and the check raise on turn and you are going to look for a situation where you are heads-up or 3-way against Bellagio regulars and the pot is medium to large size. Your goal is to bluff or semi-bluff the Bellagio regulars out of 2 or 3 medium to large size pots where you have nothing or a draw.

Don't try anything when there are other tourists in the pot---your carefully created image has gone way over their heads and, besides, they won't lay down a hand anyway.

Also, don't try anything when the pot is small. You move will work but it isn't worth sqandering the image you've created.

You have to observe the game and figure out when a good opportunity for your move appears. Here are some guidelines.

1) Look for a situation pre-flop where one of the Las Vegas professionals is isolation raising. If you have position, 3-bet. Follow through by betting or raising on the flop and turn.

2) In any pot which becomes heads up on the turn where the Las Vegas professional has been the bettor, check raise the Las Vegas professional and follow up by betting the river.

3) When you call a raise in the blinds, check raise the flop or turn when scare cards hit. By scare card I mean where two adjacent cards flop, 67,89, 45, etc hit on the flop, wen the turn would give suited connectors two pair, or when the turn would complete a straight if you had suited connectors, e.g. A56 on the flop and a 9 on the turn.

The key is to think of your action pre-flop-limp, raise, call a raise or re-raise and then when you check raise bluff on the river or turn that you could plausibly hold a hand which when combined with the board gives you a powerful holding.

You can probably get away with your move 2 or 3 times. After you have stolen 2 or 3 pots, get up and leave the game. Also, if you are forced to showdown and the other players see what you have done, you should leave the game.

Of course, there is no guarantee that you will post a win. You might check raise into a set or a big overpair, but, IMHO, if you follow this plan you will be a clear favorite.

01-24-2002, 06:55 PM
I think you have way too much free time.

I would concentrate my efforts on good, solid play

rather than portraying a false image. Keep in mind that most players really don't pay attention

to who they are playing anyway. If you are sitting down at the Bellagio on a Tueday morning

with a bunch of locals you are probably in a bad

game to begin with.

Bruce

01-24-2002, 07:11 PM
I do like the part about having your wife go into her purse and hand you your playing money...

01-24-2002, 09:18 PM
"I do like the part about having your wife go into her purse and hand you your playing money..."

Where else would you get the money??

01-24-2002, 10:33 PM

01-25-2002, 03:53 AM
If you think this strategy won't work, read Roy Cooke's recent Cardplayer article at http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=12326.

01-25-2002, 09:13 AM
lol...gr8 thinking...maybe send her out for gifts for the grands also...hehe..gl

01-25-2002, 09:17 AM
as somone moving up to 15-30 and 20-40..i do play very tight and notice not getting calls on end...i have selectively played draws more aggressively, semi-bluff check raised on the turn, and amazingly stole the blinds from utg, since my opponents assume i am playing abc weak tight...with remarkable success..

your posts are to be seriously considered..

gl

01-25-2002, 09:20 AM
hey wanta be a pro poker player..have a wife who works...

wanta be a world class high stakes poker player..have a rich wife who works...

lol

gl

01-25-2002, 10:05 AM
no, i think it would work, but one of the assumed conditions is that

a) short bankroll

b) show down premium hands

what if you sit down and dont get any premium hands at all for 2 hours? i guess you could come back the next day.

brad

01-25-2002, 10:24 AM
That's my plan, but my wife doesn't like the idea of me being a trust-fund pro as much as I do. I'm working on it though.

01-25-2002, 10:26 AM
hey, ya gotta work on her playing more...couples tourneys will get more and more popular as time goes along and more women players..there is big bucks here..gl jmho..

01-25-2002, 11:12 AM
I think the big bucks are to be found with her in the office and me in the 80-160.:-)

01-25-2002, 11:51 AM
You guys are making me think I'm a fish because I work for a living. Well, if it's any consolation, I'm sending my daughter off to college in the fall with the strict instruction to seek a wealthy husband.

As for affecting a persona, I don't think the wife/girlfriend will have to stretch to give the impression that she is annoyed with the World Class Player. It only took me two or three paragraphs to get there.

01-25-2002, 12:28 PM
What small towns lack in poker action is more than made up by the quality of life.

It seems to me putting on a cap from a small town card room and acting like the confident local champ may yield better results. Play a straight forward game and let the pros try and run over you. They're used to sending wannabes home mumbling.

I avoid Vegas games because they take all my money.

01-25-2002, 12:34 PM
heavy on the "in her office" part..lol..gl

01-25-2002, 12:36 PM
also warn the daughter about cardplayers..lol...still think some of the best games i played in were my freshman dorm room...lol..gl

01-26-2002, 12:37 AM
Cooke stole the blinds who (probably correctly) folded to his raise. big deal.

01-26-2002, 02:03 AM
When I am in Vegas, I try to avoid the pros and play with the tourists if at all possible. And in general, just try to play WELL.