PDA

View Full Version : Does this scream AA and am I deaf?

rjc199
07-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Early in a PP $5 SNG.

I get AKs in the SB. UTG open raises for the minimum ($30). It is folded to me and I raise it up to $90. He re-raises it to $350. Is it safe to fold here?

I called and wanted to see the flop figuring he could have a pair lower than KK and if I got a card I could bust him. The flop came K-high he went all-in and I called. He had AA and he busted me.

Jman28
07-04-2004, 11:00 PM
In a pp $5 SnG, that barely means anything. Players do that with A7o sometimes.

If you know he's solid, you could put him on AKs, AKo, or AA-JJ. With these hands, your either a small favorite or a big dog, so it's not a good call if you know he's solid. That being said, I might push and hope to get a maniac with AT to call, if I read him as one.

holeplug
07-04-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't think I would have called here. 350 is almost half your stack and even if you hit your A or K you can't be sure its good. The reraise could mean anything this early (I see people do this with AQ, AJ even A10 already) but alot of the time it does mean AA or KK.

pzhon
07-05-2004, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Early in a PP $5 SNG.

I get AKs in the SB. UTG open raises for the minimum ($30). It is folded to me and I raise it up to $90. He re-raises it to $350. Is it safe to fold here?

I called and wanted to see the flop figuring he could have a pair lower than KK and if I got a card I could bust him. The flop came K-high he went all-in and I called. He had AA and he busted me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does scream AA. Should you believe it?

I just had the same experience in MP at UB, and I kicked myself for not folding the AK preflop. I think players on UB don't bluff with this preflop play enough. It seems to mean AA or KK reliably when the stacks are deep and the players are decent.

On Party's lower SNGs, I believe that players make this play with weaker hands so frequently that calling is ok.

SumZero
07-05-2004, 03:13 AM
At what levels on UB are you willing to fold AKs with this?

IME at the $5 SNG at UB the tell tale AA is the limp re-raise at low levels. And you are right players don't use this move often as a bluff (and why should they as these moves are frequently called!). If some one limp re-raises in the early levels run away.

I see people doing the min-raise, re-raise with middle and high pocket pairs and with AK and AQ. So I'd consider calling this with AKs, and pushing all in on the flop if I hit a 4 flush or an A or K.