PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm dense sometimes.

Zeno
07-04-2004, 08:57 PM
After all this time, It finally dawned on me that people take many of the debates that occur on this forum very, very, seriously. Some may not or take them less so, but obviously some do. Perhaps I sort of 'knew' this subconsciously but it never really reach the surface nor did I appreciate a full understanding of this until today, especially after trying to read and catch up on some threads.

Obviously, my sometimes (or is it all the time?)-Glib manner and misanthropic posts and outlook can be easily misconstrued and/or misinterpreted. Especially by people that take what occurs here seriously or at least semi-seriously. Perhaps I have inadvertently offended some posters with my manner. If so, I offer an apology.

I shall make an effort to be more circumspect in my postings from now on and make more apparent differences in temper.

But in no way can I, personally, take the majority of posts that occur on this forum too seriously. And if you think I do, from this point on – That will be Your Mistake.

Man is too big a cosmic joke to take seriously.

Le Misanthrope

John Cole
07-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Zeno,

I think we should take our thoughts seriously (and ourselves for that matter). However, that doesn't mean that we can't have a bit of levity, too. I'm not sure whom you have offended, but I'm sure the offense shouldn't sting for long.

After reading a number of political and global threads--most of which I stay out of because I lack the real knowledge to offer informed opinion--I have come to admire the poise and equanimity of a few posters who never seem to get rattled no matter how often they are insulted. Cyrus is certainly one. But, in particular, I think most of us can learn from MMMMMM (or M as he was known in his earlier incarnation here). M has been attacked viciously on a number of occasions that I can recall, so much so that I have been tempted to reply in a sort of defense. But I know M, and I'm sure he wouldn't want me to defend him him, and so I haven't. As he always does, M replies to almost all comments with grace, never lowering himself to the level of those who have insulted him. All of us can learn from this--whether we agree with his stances or not.

In fact, I've learned to respect a number of people who post here whom I have never met, and if they did not take themselves seriously, I doubt I would. You are certainly among those people, however wrong you are about guns and politicians. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's one vote for taking ourselves seriously. Who else will?

Dilbert
07-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Most of the posters on this forum are dense. I come here when I want to laugh at someone's stupidity. You guys never disappoint /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zeno
07-05-2004, 12:42 AM
John,

Enjoyed your very civil post. Thanks for the reply. It helped me sort out a few things.

-Zeno

Zeno
07-05-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm glad I'm entertaining.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
07-05-2004, 01:55 AM
zeno i accept your apology and dont let it happen again.

ACPlayer
07-05-2004, 05:45 AM
Life is too short to take too seriously.

Note that almost all political discussions can be argued from both sides. I for one, could have every argued in every political discussion from the opposite side of each position I have chosen to take. In fact, I take it one step further, in politics if one cannot argue and defend the opposite position then one does not understand the issue enough.

Political bull sessions are just that - bull sessions. This forum is one long bull session. We are not solving anything, we are wasting each others time and once in a while learn an interesting "fact" or two.

Lastly, to quote M, no one is attacking the other, just the positions taken by the other. /images/graemlins/grin.gif