PDA

View Full Version : $60k in 60 days -- Days 49, 50, 51 & 52

Schneids
07-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Day Forty Nine (June 30), Day Fifty (July 1), Day Fifty One (July 2), and Day Fifty Two (July 3) -- 07.04.04, 18:36

Firstly, I hope everyone is having a happy and safe fourth of July weekend with family and friends. Regardless of poker results and money, those two things always have and always will be more important (que Captain Obvious).

I know in the past four days I've spent more time playing multi table tournaments than I have ring games. Those have been going reasonably well, since I've moneyed in five of seven of them and even got a 3rd place in a $50+5. It seems like I'm making good strides in achieving the proper level of aggression in the mid-to-late stages of the tournaments – though that isn't to say I'm not also benefiting from some fortunate luck. In the tournament when I got knocked out third, my death hand was amusing: Blinds were 2000/4000 and I had roughly T27,000 remaining. Button made it T9000 or T10,000 to go, and I pushed all in from my SB with 22. Button called with QQ. Flop AA2r. Yay! Turn A. Boo! It's kind of neat to think about that a hand like this shows if hand A > hand B > hand C, and button's QQ is hand C, the button would rather I flop a full house (hand A) than a set (hand B) since the full house gives the button more outs to catch up, even though a full house itself is stronger than a set. Twodimes is down so I cannot confirm what I've just said, but I assume it's true.

I've been doing a lot more looking/shopping for a car lately. Man, I cannot stand going to dealerships and having the salesmen shadow me like a dog at the dinner table. I honestly wonder if a car dealership would do any better just by simply posting all prices on all cars, with a list of features on the car as well, and leaving customers to shop like as if they were at Target? It is so suffocating having to walk a floor with a salesman next to you, yapping into your ear about this and that. I would think it also turns up some defense mechanisms in many people. Like, take when the salesman was explaining that a car with a silver paint job won't begin to show its age as quickly as a black one, given all other circumstances equal. Itself true, but when the silver car is $2,000 more I'm sure many people would immediately question if the salesman is saying it for alternative motives.

I relate all of this to my job experience working for Sam's Club four summers ago. In my hometown, a new Sam's Club was being built, and I was hired to be a cart guy there once the store opened. Before it opened, I did soliciting for memberships, in many different forms. One of them was by setting up shop in Wal-Mart, and trying to get people to buy memberships from us there. Most days, I'd work with one other person. Before my first trip, I was told by management we were to approach customers directly and ask them if they had interest. I worked with many people who did it this way, as well.

In four hour shifts at Wal-Mart, most days two people would bring back about a dozen new memberships. Maybe a few more, maybe a few less. Soon after this, one of my friends got a job at Sam's Club too. Before long, we were given a shift to solicit inside Wal-Mart, together. Since we both agreed this job sucked and we both hated approaching people who were almost always irritated by our approaching them, we set up a table, made a sign that said "Sam's Club Memberships! Purchase one here, today!" and sat back and did nothing. We didn't say a word to anybody as they passed. We didn't try to sell anything. We didn't even initiate conversation with someone who'd stop and look over our table of pamphlets. Instead, we used our time to do things like make a tally of the female shoppers at Wal-Mart with ratings of "milf," "hot," "ok," "fat," "old," and "fat old and rank," or make mazes on paper, etc etc. Immature and unprofessional? Most certaintly. I'm sure the ghost of Sam Walton was frowning upon our practices -- except that, we produced results. By being non-initiative, by handing all the power over to the people passing by us, we in fact took control of them. In our worst days we sold 30 memberships in those same four hours. In our best, we sold upwards of 70. Us two quickly became "the team" that the Sam's Club management wanted sent to Wal-Mart for membership selling. In fact, one of the managers even referred to us two as the "ace up his sleeve." How fitting!

Long story short, I really question the effectiveness of direct salesmanship. Obviously salesmen are often trained in the art of selling and know more ways to break through peoples' initial defense mechanisms (in comparison to Sam's Club employees with zero/minimal selling experience sent out to Wal-Mart after a 10 minute summary of "how to sell memberships"), but I still question the whole process. I think there"s merit to letting people feel zero pressure and deciding things with their own will while feeling totally in control of the situation. This is usually why phone solicitors are meet with negative reactions, for instance.

P.S. Even after extensive shopping around, I'm still unsure about what vehicle I plan to purchase.

Back to Poker

Until last night when I finally did a 6 hour ring game session, my ring game playing has been very minimal these past four days. In fact, I even took Friday (Day 50) off from ring game play. Outside of a 278 hand 10/20 6-max session (+$78 in it), all of my ring game playing has been 15/30 full games. In one 1-2 hour session on Day 49, I lost $861. My next ring game session on Thursday met me with a $598 loss, but was countered by some alright tournament results leaving me up $242 on the day. I played a little early Saturday morning and won $330, then played six hours Saturday night and lost $1790. Losing $1790 though is positive because at my worst on the night I was down $3200. I'm to the point right now where I'm questioning whether I'm +EV or not in 15/30 full. I've played 10,000 hands now at that limit, and I'm still losing in it. I feel like I'm getting bad beated a ton, often against people that raise me on the turn with a worse hand before catching on the river, which in turn causes me to pay off against other's who I shouldn't, who raise me on the turn as well. It's a weird catch 22. I know I could play better (ie fold more against opponents I should be folding to), yet I know the results should be better than they are in my first 10,000 hands. I don't know, I'll give it another 10,000 hands before deciding whether 15/30 fulls should be a part of my gameplan or whether I am exclusively a 6-max player. These 15/30 fulls just seem so soft though, I cannot understand how I'm not winning yet in them. In this particular game, it has gotten to the point where I cringe when I receive a good starting hand, and I try to imagine "in what way am I going to lose this time?" This type of thinking sucks, and shouldn't be happening to me.

Anyway, I want to gloat about the largest pot I've ever won, this in 15/30. There was a lot of action by different people, so, I'll provide the full hand history converted summary:

Preflop: Schneids is SB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Schneids calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, CO calls, Schneids calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Schneids bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Schneids 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, CO calls, Schneids calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (20.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Schneids bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Schneids 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (35.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Schneids bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 38.50 BB

MP1 and CO both held AA, so my hand was good.

Conversely, in the past few days I've also experienced one of the more difficult river jobs in my playing experience (only due to pot size, not due to odds of being overtaken): 2 limps and a raise from a LAG, 1 cold call, I cold call on the button with 8c8h, BB calls as do all the limpers. Ad5d8s flop; checked to PFR who bets, 1 fold, I call, BB raises, 2 cold calls to the PFR who 3-bets, I call, BB caps, all call. Turn 5c; BB bets, 2 calls, PFR raises, I 3-bet, BB calls, both limpers call (one of which is all in now) and PFR calls. River As; 2 checks, PFR bets, I fold (but wonder whether I should have called even though it was "obvious" to me this LAG had an ace), SB calls and the other remaining limper calls as well. ATo for PFR, 85o and smaller turned boat for BB, and Kd6d missed flush draw for the limper on a fantastic overcall after all that action... Plus a queen high missed flush draw from the all-in on the turn.

One final hand, where I'm still trying to learn how much action is appropriate to give in this game. 3 limpers to me on the button and I raise with AdKs, SB folds, BB 3-bets, 2 limpers call and one folds, I cap, all call. 6d9d7h flop; checked around. Kh turn; BB bets, two calls, I raise, BB 3-bets, two calls, and I call. Here, I'm thinking AK, AA, or set for BB, so no cap from me, right? River 7c; BB bets, 1 fold, 1 call, I call. AKo for BB, K4o for the other caller, and a chopped pot for me. Despite getting 3:1 money on my hand on the turn it is being too aggressive capping TPTK, right?

So hopefully concludes a bad chapter that has been poor since I logged zero hours on day 45.

Total for Day 49: -$783
Total for Day 50: $242
Total for Day 51: $0
Total for Day 52: -$1460
Goal to date after 52 days: $28,939.08/$60,000

Week Six Summary (Days 43-49): $311.17, 21.5 hours, $14.47/hr

Bob T.
07-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Long story short, I really question the effectiveness of direct salesmanship. Obviously salesmen are often trained in the art of selling and know more ways to break through peoples' initial defense mechanisms (in comparison to Sam's Club employees with zero/minimal selling experience sent out to Wal-Mart after a 10 minute summary of "how to sell memberships"), but I still question the whole process. I think there"s merit to letting people feel zero pressure and deciding things with their own will while feeling totally in control of the situation.

You know, you can be direct with the salesman, too. Ask them if the dealership has a TV with cable. When they say yes, tell them to go watch sportscenter for a half hour, and when you have questions you will come and find them. They probably don't want to follow you around anymore than you wanted to pester people in the Walmart parking lot.

Frogger
07-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Schneids,

As a fellow young poker player, I have nothing but respect for you and what you've done. I've only managed to earn 1/10th of what you have on Party Poker but you journal inspires me every day.

However, you're going limp - you think that you've failed your mission and now you're stopping... MAN you lost more in 4 days then I've earned the entire summer just because you've gotten desperate and your mind is on tilt. It's similar to how if I lose like $300 one day, winning back $300 is going to be bittersweet because I knew that i'm still down for two days. You're still up though man! Don't give up and keep on playing. Make a sprint the last 8 days and know that any extra money you make like always, will be YOUR MONEY. Don't stop playing your A game just because you might not make $60,000 - Play your A game to get as close to the goal as you can! If you choose to partake in the quest again, you'll only get even closer because of the experiences and skills you have gained during this quest.

If you keep screwing around with these $50 MTTs instead of playing your golden game - 10/20 6-max.. You'll only be losing money that you could have gained. I do believe that playing a MTT when you are bored every now and then is a good idea but you shouldn't switch from your bread and butter.

If the quest is still the most important thing to you, then you'll need to play a shitload of MTTs and get lucky finish to bring home the gold. Either way you are a winner and I hope you'll give more progress quests in the future.

A fan,

Frogger

Frogger
07-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Oh.. and stop playing the damn 15/30 10 person max tables. You're make me cry everytime you post your losses in it because it only slows you down and makes you more desperate. You could be up another $10,000 if you hadn't added those tables. I wish I could be good enough to have a game which I could consistently beat for that much. Either way, you own. Goodluck

Songwind
07-05-2004, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly wonder if a car dealership would do any better just by simply posting all prices on all cars, with a list of features on the car as well, and leaving customers to shop like as if they were at Target?

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I have been shopping for a new car for the last couple of weeks. Walser dealships actually do that - they post the only price they're going to offer on the car, and will go away if you tell them you're just browsing and don't have any questions right now.

We were impressed enough that we're probably going to buy a car from their Mazda dealership in Burnsville.

all luck no skill
07-05-2004, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm to the point right now where I'm questioning whether I'm +EV or not in 15/30 full. I've played 10,000 hands now at that limit, and I'm still losing in it. I feel like I'm getting bad beated a ton...
These 15/30 fulls just seem so soft though, I cannot understand how I'm not winning yet in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Schneids,

I think you share my feelings EXACTLY. I recently started playing fixed limit poker again. I've been losing, but to hands and plays that I think are atrocious. I see some players starting hand requirements and I'm amazed that I'm not taking their money.

I have no clue what it is I'm doing wrong. Like you, I'm going to try and get a bigger sample before figuring out what to do. But that game SEEMS incredibly soft. I just don't understand why it hasn't been profitable for me thus far.

fsuplayer
07-05-2004, 11:19 AM
For the last leg of your quest, go back to your $10-20 if your mind can take it. You have been consistantly killing these games and you can always give the $15-30 a try after the 60 days are over.
I think your very aggressive play from the 6 max makes your swings HUGE in the 15-30 ring. The AK hand was a good example (i know you didnt lose it, but in general I think its a little too aggressive). You havent been running great in the 15-30, but when you do, you should make a boatload when you balance your strategy out for the full games. That being said, you seem to have a great agg. strategy in the 10-20 6 max, keep it up. Maybe something like 4 10-20 6 max, a multi table tourney and one 15-30 would be a good lineup for you as it plays to your strengths, but keeps your mind semi fresh as well.

BTW What type of car are you looking to buy?

As always, best of luck and keep up the good work.

FsuPlayer

MRBAA
07-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Where I live, NYC suburb, there are so many tough customers that many car dealerships don't do business this way. The Honda dealership where I bought the car I own and also lease my business vehicle, does 0 pressure salesmanship. I look up pricing on Consumer Reports and do a bit of shopping around by phone. So when I come in, I have an idea of the vehicle I want and the price. When I leased my business vehicle, there was an optional package that added about $50/month and included a CD player and automatic sliding doors (it's a minivan). Salesman mentioned it and I was thinking "no" but he demo'd to my wife and kids, and she was sold on the ease of opening the doors (kids were sold on the "coolness"). So we got it and we're glad we did. That, to me, is customer focused up-selling that can be a win-win for both parties.

Baulucky
07-05-2004, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But that game SEEMS incredibly soft. I just don't understand why it hasn't been profitable for me thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Collusion +/or schooling maybe?. Maybe non-betting collusion/card sharing?. That would be the golden game for a team of cheaters. Just speculating here, no hard facts.

Ulysses
07-05-2004, 05:45 PM
El Diablo, after putting in 80 hrs in a month during his quest, has now gone about a month playing almost no online poker at all. Putting in hours is tough and it's super easy to get burned out playing online poker. Screw the quest. You made $30k, that's great. Take a week off. Play some more tournaments if you're enjoying doing that. Maybe learn a new game or something. Whatever.

Baulucky
07-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Would you post your total hours, total rake for these 52 days?.

TIA

Schneids
07-05-2004, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Putting in hours is tough and it's super easy to get burned out playing online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I logged in, got myself on two 10/20 6-max tables, played a few hands while looking for a third and fourth table, then decided I didn't feel like playing right now. Not a good sign. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Take a week off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I will be going with my Dad on a camping trip up north in a couple of days, for a couple of days. A lot of fishing and R&amp;R in store, that'll be a nice break.

Schneids
07-05-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the last leg of your quest, go back to your $10-20 if your mind can take it. You have been consistantly killing these games and you can always give the $15-30 a try after the 60 days are over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is my plan for the last leg. Though the last leg might be cut into two pieces since I'm probably going to be going camping for a couple of days.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW What type of car are you looking to buy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now my top choices are either Pontiac Firebird or Toyota Celica. If I can find a sporty Honda within my price range too I'll consider that. Additionally, a new Hyundai Tiburon is a small possibility being that I've seen a few of those around $16,000.

As it is, I'm waiting on a few dealerships regarding whether some 2002 Firebird convertibles can be priced under $16,000 and how far. Same for the Celicas, but under $13,000.

Basically, I've been looking around plenty and know what a lot of these things "should" be priced, and I'm willing to wait until one is available that I like that meets what I expect it to be. I'm seeing plenty of large markups.

Schneids
07-05-2004, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you post your total hours, total rake for these 52 days?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since May 13 (day one in my journal) in my Pokertracker, it shows:

$16,337.60 rake paid (from General tab)
945.58 table hours (from Sessions tab)
...which averages out to be 18.18 table hours per day, which I think sounds reasonable since about 2/3 to 3/4 of those days were 4-tabling and the rest 6-tabling.

I know my PT has missed some hands or something since the $ amounts it shows in there doesn't line up with my numbers (even withstanding discrepancies due to tournaments).

Baulucky
07-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks. Great work.

bugstud
07-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Don't buy new, ok? You lose 1/2 your value in a year, get a 1-2 year old car and go from there.

astroglide
07-05-2004, 07:39 PM
are you talking about a firebird or a sunfire? have you considered waiting a bit for the pontiac solstice? looks very interesting and it's supposed to be cheap. the resale value and reliability of the celica will be head and shoulders above a sunfire and a tiburon. the resale on the tiburon will be particularly abysmal. expect to be upside-down on your loan if you make minimum payments. that size of gm car generally sucks on crash tests (esp side impact). post a car thread in other topics or news/views/gossip and i'm sure you'll get a lot of info.

Joel
07-05-2004, 08:08 PM
From your 47&amp;48 thread:
Scheids,I guess you have considered playing poker as a professional,but when I read your posts it seems that you never have given it a serious thought? /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I mean,why hurry with an education when you can make 31 grand in about 50 days?
To a 20 year old like I,thatīs alot of money,and there are lots of people out there that makes much less than that per year.
Just wanted to hear your side of it,and good luck at the tables. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

goodguy_1
07-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Schneids:
I havent read this whole thread but whatver you are buying check out these sites:
Edmunds is the nuts..If you do decide to buy a new vehicle and not a used one like it sounds.. dont pay more than invoice plus a few hundred..better to buy at the end of the month and best on the last day of the last month of the year.

I bought a new Toyota 4Runner Limited w/V-8 on a build order..I had to wait 5 months for it but this thing is awesome: 4Runner (http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/index/4runner_mainlg.jpg)

Edmunds is a great site--the best ..Also obviously check out KelleyBlue Book if you are buying a used car.Also CarsDirect.com is a very good site with good pricing info.

Also check out Autotrader.com.I would not buy a used car from a dealership..you can usually find one 10%-25% cheaper thru a private party transaction: AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/)

The way to make a good purcahse these days at most dealerships is to inquire thru the Internet sales department.You will avoid hassles and pay much less.I paid $300 over dealer's invoice for mine.I had had the same 1993 Ford Expoloer for 10 years so I was due!!boy was I due.

Good luck!

Edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/?tid=edmunds.g.home.header..0.*)

CarsDirect (http://www.carsdirect.com/home)

Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com/index.html)

all luck no skill
07-06-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm not ready to claim collusion. Schooling does seem like a viable option. In any case I need more hands to figure out the true solution. i.e, I am barely profitable with QQ after this small sample size, and I know that will change.

Baulucky
07-06-2004, 09:17 AM
It is quite interesting that you are claiming problems in a game that Schneids is also having problems being profitable after 10,000 hands, and that is barely one step above the limits he was killing.

My first reaction is always: Results don't lie, am I been taken for a ride?. It may be a paranoid reaction, but it's healthy for my BR.

nykenny
07-06-2004, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But that game SEEMS incredibly soft. I just don't understand why it hasn't been profitable for me thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Collusion +/or schooling maybe?. Maybe non-betting collusion/card sharing?. That would be the golden game for a team of cheaters. Just speculating here, no hard facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

i take on all cheaters. make them come to all 8 of my tables, i will be waiting...

nykenny
07-06-2004, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is quite interesting that you are claiming problems in a game that Schneids is also having problems being profitable after 10,000 hands, and that is barely one step above the limits he was killing.

My first reaction is always: Results don't lie, am I been taken for a ride?. It may be a paranoid reaction, but it's healthy for my BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am doing well after 8000 hands recorded in PT2, all 15/30.

schneids could have just hit a cold streak. although 10K hand streak is a long one.

Tosh
07-06-2004, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
although 10K hand streak is a long one.

[/ QUOTE ]

By no means is 10k a long cold streak. At 10k hands you're still very much in the short term.

nykenny
07-06-2004, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
although 10K hand streak is a long one.

[/ QUOTE ]

By no means is 10k a long cold streak. At 10k hands you're still very much in the short term.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course it is a short term stat. but 10K hand losing streak is a long losing streak (if indeed most of the sessions are losing sessions).

it is like play 300 hours (2 months + )of live poker and the NET is negative. i would say it is a long streak.

lil'
07-07-2004, 08:26 AM
are you talking about a firebird or a sunfire?
If he wins all this money and buys a Sunfire, I will kill him.

fsuplayer
07-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Have a good time camping and good luck on the last leg of your quest.

BTW: [ QUOTE ]
Right now my top choices are either Pontiac Firebird or Toyota Celica.

[/ QUOTE ]

A firebird?...I hate to think I have been rooting for you this whole time so that you could save for a Firebird...ehhh.

[ QUOTE ]
If I can find a sporty Honda within my price range too I'll consider that

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be much better off, satisfaction and resale wise if you bought that instead. Look for a year or two old, two door accord, or maybe even the acura rx (that might not be the correct letters, but its the sporty integra replacement). You should be able to find both of those near your price range, and you will thank yourself in the long run. Trust me.

Have you started putting in the max ($3K/year) into a Roth IRA tax free acct? If not, do it. At 10% a year (which is close to the market avg), that $3K will be worth almost $180,000 by the time you retire! Pretty good +EV there.

FsuPlayer

12AX7
07-08-2004, 12:09 AM
I agree...pushy sales sux. But some old time sales managers feel it works. They say..."They'll buy a car within 3 days of starting to look...best that it's here." Suffice to say I had to quit that job when I decided a consultative approach was better. So just a point or two. Each customer is different, each product is different. Sam's club memberships are different from milti-bazillion dollar outsoucing deals. CFOs whanrt something different from Cheif Technical types, etc. So once again, pker mirrors business life rather well....Know your opponent..er ahem...customer.

Surfbullet
07-08-2004, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A firebird?...I hate to think I have been rooting for you this whole time so that you could save for a Firebird...ehhh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not totally sure what your motivation for this argument is besides "trust me," but here's my 2c:

I have a '96 firebird with T-tops, and I absolutely love it. I got it 3 yrs old, and in amazing condition... the V6 gets 30+ miles to the gallon highway because the car is so aerodynamic, yet still has plenty of power. Plus, it looks amazing.

I'd definitely recommend it over a honda, as I've had a great experience with mine - the engine has never needed work and it still turns heads... the hatchback with t-tops is a great compromise because you can fit surfboards etc inside it and still take the tops off when the weather's nice.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll get something you will really enjoy Schneids... hopefully you'll sock some of it away long-term like some of the other posts mentioned. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

bombusan
07-08-2004, 10:56 AM
I've been doing a lot more looking/shopping for a car lately. Man, I cannot stand going to dealerships and having the salesmen shadow me like a dog at the dinner table. I honestly wonder if a car dealership would do any better just by simply posting all prices on all cars, with a list of features on the car as well, and leaving customers to shop like as if they were at Target?

saturn's like that, but a lot of people feel that they're cheap cars

nykenny
07-08-2004, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been doing a lot more looking/shopping for a car lately. Man, I cannot stand going to dealerships and having the salesmen shadow me like a dog at the dinner table. I honestly wonder if a car dealership would do any better just by simply posting all prices on all cars, with a list of features on the car as well, and leaving customers to shop like as if they were at Target?

saturn's like that, but a lot of people feel that they're cheap cars

[/ QUOTE ]

the Lexus dealership i went to didn't pamper me /images/graemlins/frown.gif. i guess some cars sell themselves...

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-08-2004, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have a good time camping and good luck on the last leg of your quest.

BTW: [ QUOTE ]
Right now my top choices are either Pontiac Firebird or Toyota Celica.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If I can find a sporty Honda within my price range too I'll consider that

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be much better off, satisfaction and resale wise if you bought that instead. Look for a year or two old, two door accord, or maybe even the acura rx (that might not be the correct letters, but its the sporty integra replacement). You should be able to find both of those near your price range, and you will thank yourself in the long run. Trust me.

Have you started putting in the max ($3K/year) into a Roth IRA tax free acct? If not, do it. At 10% a year (which is close to the market avg), that $3K will be worth almost $180,000 by the time you retire! Pretty good +EV there.

FsuPlayer

[/ QUOTE ]
You're thinking of the Acura RSX. It's a fun car to drive if you get the s-type (good luck getting that for $16k), but you can't be more than about 5'10" to drive it often. It's too cramped. I looked at all the cars in this price range VERY closely when I got my new job about a year and a half ago. I had about 3 months to look and I knew everything about every (new) car under $28k. Far and away the best in the sub-$20k price range was the Mazda Protege (I got a Protege5 - the sportwagon version, but the top-level Protege is what I'd recommend if you want a sedan and is about equivalent to the P5). It handles like a slotcar and is fun as hell to drive in the twisties. If I were you, Schneids, I'd take a serious look at the new Mazda 3. If you can afford more, you can't beat a Subaru WRX. I've got one of those too and its performance will shame any car under $40k for around $23k-$25k.

Aside from getting every schmo's opinion on what car is more badass than all the rest, you FOR SURE have to check out www.carbuyingtips.com (http://www.carbuyingtips.com) - it's hands down the absolute best way to inform yourself and be ready to buy a car. It'll seriously save you thousands. It works (I am in no way affiliated, but have used the info here and it's awesome - get the free spreadsheet fair price calculator). Know what you should be paying and how you got to that number, walk into the dealer and firmly offer that price. Show him that you know what he's trying to do and all the angles he's trying to play and he's got no option but to give you your price or very close to it. Don't take any crap.

fsuplayer
07-08-2004, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not totally sure what your motivation for this argument is besides "trust me,"

[/ QUOTE ]

Schneids is smart enough to know that a car is an investment. While most cars wont be showing you any positive returns, some cars will lose you much less than others. It would be fun to spend $16-18K on a car like a firebird, but in a couple of years when he needs/wants to sell it, he will get killed in the drop in resale value. Most american cars, esp. Pontiacs and Dodge have awful resale value on cars. Not saying they are bad cars at all, just that you can do much better if you plan to sell it in the future.

Plus, no one can deny that Hondas/Acuras and similar foreign cars have a much better chance of lasting for years without problems.

I like firebirds and camaros, even wanted one all of highschool, but just wanted to tell Scheids some things the used car dealers might not.

Good luck with your quest, in poker and automobiles Scheids.

fsuplayer

umdpoker
07-08-2004, 04:55 PM
are you thinking about a firebird formula? thats a bad ass car. it basically performs like a vette for much less money, especially if bought used. cars lose most of their resale value in the first 2 years. if you get a 2 yr old firebird formula or trans am, it wouldn't lose much more value in the next 5 yrs. believe me, a formula or TA would be a lot more fun to drive than almost any car you can buy in its price range. i'm not sure if performance is what you want though. if you are looking for passenger room, gas mileage, etc., you might wanna consider an altima. the new altimas are bad ass too. i'm not sure what the cost of a yr old altima is, but they are very nice. my friend has the crappy version( 4 cylinder), and it has the most leg room i have ever seen in the back seat. i am 6'2" and had tons of extra room. good luck.

DeeJ
07-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Hey Schneids you haven't posted in days..... nearly there, man!