PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for Greece!

hetron
07-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Congrats to the new European Soccer (football, whatever) champs. After never even winning a match in a previous European or World Championship, Greece goes on to win the whole shebang. As a Greek-American, I am very proud. This makes up for all the gay jokes I had to put up with growing up, the 94 World Cup debacle, the behind-schedule Olympics thing, even for that hideous greek woman who claimed to be Saddam's mistress. So once, again, yayyyyyyy yayyyyy yayyyyyyyyy!!! http://www.euro2004.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/competitions/EURO/205475_BIGLANDSCAPE.jpg

tyfromm
07-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Its all a set up. Greece - right! Just trying to promote the Olympics.

Beckham rules!

MMMMMM
07-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Good deal, hetron. I was cheered when when Brazil won some years ago (I have some Brazilian friends) and I am happy for Greece.

Over a decade ago I used to play sometimes in Greek coffeehouses. A a youngish (late 20's) American, I managed to get along well with the Greeks and liked the food. They all spoke Greek during the hands and dealt backwards.

One old Greek poker player in the game asked me the following riddle:

He said: "It is the rainy season in Greece. You and ten Greeks have to wade across the river. But you are the only one whose XXXX gets wet going across. Why?"

<<scroll down for answer>>

"Because you are in the front of the line!"

hetron
07-04-2004, 06:51 PM

MMMMMM
07-04-2004, 06:56 PM
eh, hetron, I'm not a bad guy, my political views just suck, that's all.

hetron
07-04-2004, 07:07 PM
I never said you were a bad guy. Believe it or not, I have a few friends with whom I have had major political disagreements. That doesn't mean we don't get along otherwise. As long as people don't resort to "cheap" tactics as a way of stifling debate, I don't have a problem with them. I'll give an example of this in a future post.

Cyrus
07-05-2004, 06:10 PM
CNN kept cutting to the mob scenes in Athens where some two hundred thousand people had lined up the streets from the airport to the Stadium where another eighty thousand mad Greeks were packed and waiting for the players and their manager to arrive. When they lifted the cup the place just disintegrated. I even saw some cops howling.

Right before the start of the tournament, Greece was a ranked outsider, getting the worst odds after Latvia. The Greeks' (most persuasive) win of the European Nations Cup must be the biggest upset in national football competitions, ever.

Siko se to, to gamimeno!
Den mporo, den mporo
Na perimeno!

/images/graemlins/cool.gif