PDA

View Full Version : If p then q

01-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Last weekend at the Reno Hilton playing $30-60. All the players are competent, but some are having a little fun. I'm in the cutoff. The blinds this hand are particularly loose about calling one raise, but not two. The guy 2 to my right, again a reasonable player, open raises. The guy on my right paused, during which time I realized I would fold, call or raise depending entirely on his action. I had 99.

I'm curious what range of hands would you have such that this would be true?

01-22-2002, 04:25 PM
The guy on my right paused, during which time I realized I would fold, call, or raise depending entirely on his action. I'm curious what range of hands would you have such that this would be true?

66-JJ

AQ-AK, ATs-AKs, KQs.

This is the broadest possible range of hands (for me) where raising, calling, and folding depend upon what the 2nd player does.

More normally it would look like:

AQ-AK, AQs.

88-JJ

01-23-2002, 09:17 AM
"The guy on my right paused, during which time I realized I would fold, call or raise depending entirely on his action. I had 99. I'm curious what range of hands would you have such that this would be true?"

Dandy question. You left out a scenario variable which is, the button tendencies on folding against two-cold as opposed to three.

But either way, it'd be a rare day when the middle player's action affects my choice of what to do with ANY non-pair hands. So that leaves pocket pairs as the only affected hands. With the tiniest pairs, again it doesn't matter what the middle guy does, (unless he raises and I decide to fold to three-cold.) And with the biggest pairs I'm reraising. So now I'm thinking we're on the same page. Only with the middle pairs could his call cause me change from taking charge with a reraise to trying to hit the flop with a call.

Tommy

01-23-2002, 09:20 AM
I wrote a song long ago called -- If P then maybe Q. (Thankfully, no lyrics.)

Now I'm thinking it'd be a good default subject-line for any poker-hand post.

Tommy

01-23-2002, 02:37 PM
Medium pairs was all I could come up with too.

As for If P Then Maybe Q, I suggest waiting til the second CD. ;-)