PDA

View Full Version : JJ against maniac

jong
07-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi, long-time lurker first time poster (just never got around to signing up before). Anyway, $.50/$1 Stars NL hand. I have $145 in front of me, table bully has about $450, down from $550 when i joined the table. He plays 60% of hands, often for raises, has called a raise with 23o and then a big flop bet after xx2 flop, and generally tries to bluff people out of every pot with his big stack.

Play in question - I'm dealt JJ on button, UTG maniac limps for $1, folded to me i raise to $5, blinds fold he raises to $12. I call.

Flop 9-T-Q with 2 hearts (i have none). I lead out for $27, he calls. Turn is 8 of hearts. I think a bit and then push in for $110 or so, he quickly calls. River is another 9.

Any thoughts on how i played this hand? Results in white.

<font color="white"> </font> I was pleasantly surprised to see him muck at the end of the hand, at that point i was expecting at least a split pot <font color="white"> </font>

TStoneMBD
07-04-2004, 10:00 PM
I would bet about half your stack here on the turn. You are obviously worried about him having a flush draw on you but betting half on the turn allows for him to make an incorrect call if hes drawing to the flush. Despite him calling your allin anyway I think betting about 60 is better.

jong
07-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Then would you plan to check-call any scary looking river card, and push on any other?

shoesnatcher
07-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Hmmm...this is a tough call with jacks on the button you could have chosen to limp (maybe) instead of raising to see the flop without getting too much money involved. I might have done this in the case of the maniac, though ordinarily I agree with raising with Jacks late (probably in 90% of cases). The reason I say this is because 1.) you knew the person who limped in with the blind was a maniac 2.) Jacks is a good hand but can't stand up well against Q's,K's and Aces or even AK, AQ, AJ (if the board contained an ace or king you would have been in big trouble if the maniac had played either of those hands) 3.) You should NEVER assume your opponent doesn't have anything even a maniac could slowplay to trap you. Anyway based on what you knew about the maniac, if you had limped on the button and flopped trips you could have thrashed him. If the flop had come down with either an ace, king or queen, you could safely fold your hand if you bet and are raised. If you had aces or kings or even AK in the hole I would have made the play you've described against the maniac, but not with jacks, just my $.02 worth.

The Shoesnatcher
"Give me your shoes!"