PDA

View Full Version : FPS? Idiocy? Just bet the turn, right.

spamuell
07-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Pacific Poker .5/1 9-handed. First time playing poker for months, first orbit at table, does not seem as loose and passive as most pacific tables usually are. Hero is EP2 with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Pre-flop: UTG folds, EP1 limps, I limp, CO limps, SB completes, BB checks. 5 to the flop for 5SB:

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, SB checks, EP1 checks, I bet, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls, EP1 folds. Two to the turn for 3.5BB:

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, I check. Two to the river for 3.5BB:

River: Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

Just bet the turn, right? And fold to a check-raise. At the time I was a little worried that he would check-raise bluff me on the turn, I can’t think why now, that seems pretty unlikely. So, bet the turn?

Sent
07-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Bet the turn, they don't know you don't have top pair and when another 9 pops off this has to be a scare card unless they themselves hold a 9.

-Sent

HajiShirazu
07-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Only 5 to the flop at a 9 handed pacific table?
Bet the turn, giving a free card is awful.

spamuell
07-04-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn, giving a free card is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right, it's pretty likely they have overcards.

There was some method behind my madness, I thought they were likely to either have overcards or a 9, so they would either fold or I would be check-raised and have to fold, so I couldn't bet for value. Whereas if I checked behind, they would likely bet the river and I could call because they would either have a 9 or I would be snapping off a bluff. What I failed to consider was that if they did have overcards, I didn't want to give a free card and allow them to take the whole pot, although this pot is not big so I wouldn't describe checking behind as awful, just bad.

Anyway, as it's the BB, they could really have any pair, so I don't know why I narrowed it down. Clearly a value bet.