PDA

View Full Version : am I a fish? and if so, what type, QK misplayed again

blendedsuit
07-04-2004, 04:16 AM
I wasnt able to check raise the flop as I wanted, and it cost me dearly.

HERO: Qs Kc
PSUPhil: -- --

Pre-flop:

HERO calls. PSUPhil folds. dutch 11 folds.
meleader2 folds. ABIGSLICKK raises to $4.50. dufer folds. syekim13 calls. pilamsolo folds. E-Builder calls. stubbornmule folds. HERO calls.

Flop (board: Qd 2c Ks):

E-Builder checks. HERO checks. ABIGSLICKK checks.
syekim13 checks.

Turn (board: Qd 2c Ks Jh):

E-Builder checks. HERO bets $19. ABIGSLICKK folds.
syekim13 folds. E-Builder raises to $76. HERO goes
all-in for $64.75. E-Builder is returned $11.25
(uncalled).

River (board: Qd 2c Ks Jh 9c):

(no action in this round)

Showdown:

E-Builder shows Th Ah.
E-Builder has Th Ah Qd Ks Jh: straight, ace high.

blendedsuit
07-04-2004, 04:47 AM
also, please let me know if I shouldnt be posting these types of things here as I am new to this poker community. thanks

B1GF1SHY
07-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Yes you should've bet right out on the flop, try and take it down right there since it hit you right on the head and you don't want others drawing. After his huge raise you should've known you were beat and saved yourself alot of money.

AnyutaDva
07-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Blendedsuit, I'd be interested to know why you felt a check raise was the best option here. I'd favour a bet for two reasons. Firstly it is not a board with lots of draws on it. The only draw available is the straight to the KQ, so it isn't as though you need to get the bulk of your money in now to prevent someone attacking a scare card on the turn. Secondly if you check raise in this situation most people are going to be putting you down for the hand you have ( or possibly bottom trips. ) So if you check raise the preflop raiser and he calls you, there is a good chance he has you beat.
If you bet the hand and get called you are probably up against a worse made hand, or 10-J. If the preflop raiser pushes, you can take a view as to whether he is likely to show you AK, AA, or trips.

flytrap
07-04-2004, 11:03 AM
First of all, why are you limping and calling a raise with KQ? This hand is horrible in no-limit. If you make one pair against a raise, you don't know whether you ahead or not, and you'll probably either win a small pot or lose a big one. You aren't going to flop 2 pair or a straight very often. If you're going to play kq, do it late position where there hasn't been a raise. KQ plays so bad in a raised pot because the hands that usually raise, like AA, KK,QQ AK, have it domitanted and you don't know what you want to flop.

t_petrosian
07-04-2004, 01:49 PM
I don't have a big problem with limping with KQo (although I probably won't do it either), but when the raise comes back around to you, fold. Also, there are VERY few really good times to check raise in no-limit. Bet your hand. If you flop a monster and can only make money by letting someone catch up, then check. The vast majority of these games at Party et al will give you ready-made callers who refuse to believe you could possibly have a hand. They will call you anyway.

Also, the guy raised pretty hard. You didn't fold even though you should have, but let's go further. On the flop with your two pair, you MUST know with his raise that he probably connected with it somehow. If he raised that much I figure him to have AA, KK, AK, QQ..something up there. Can he have JJ, TT or 99? Sure...but there is a greater than 50% chance he has one of those other hands. So, let's think...you are winning to AA and AK, losing to KK and QQ. So let's assume you are winning after the flop. But if he has AA or AK, you are very vulnerable here. You MUST bet out to protect it. I would bet the pot. If he calls, then you slow down fast (is this an oxymoron?). If he raises you probably should fold.

umdpoker
07-04-2004, 07:33 PM
i seem to always get screwed when i checkraise too, but i don't think a check-raise here is too bad. if the preflop raiser has aa/ak, he will bet out after a check somewhere around 100% of the time. hell, preflop raisers will bet after being checked to somewhere around 100% of the time. i am quite surprised that that guy didnt try to bluff on the flop. in general, i really don't like check-raising in nl. i only do it like oncea session to show others that i am capable of doing it. i don't really think it is a big money-maker. also, once he goes nuts on the turn, i smell a set that he slowplayed to get some action from you. i would almost certainly put him on kk/qq, in which case you are either drawing dead or to 1 out. AT would be in the back of my mind, but he raised that much preflop with AT? i would have a hard time believing that, unless i knew he was overly aggrssive. then again, it is party!

umdpoker
07-04-2004, 07:36 PM
forgot to add that jj is a strong possibility as well. raise preflop/check when overcards come on the flop/bet like madman when j comes on turn. if he has jj, you have 4 outs! this pretty much seems like the best case scenario for you, which isnt too good.

NotAClue
07-04-2004, 07:43 PM
The person who raised pre-flop is not the person who pushed on the turn. The person who raised pre-flop folded to Hero's bet on the turn.