PDA

View Full Version : My No-Commission Forex Virtual Trading Experience

MMMMMM
07-03-2004, 10:25 PM
I signed up for a free virtual foreign currency trading account seeded with $100,000 virtual money. Spreads are about 2-3 PIPS (like basis points) on some of the majors and 5 PIPS on other majors with no commission (the same spread and zero commission this firm charges on real trades). Trade execution is virtually instantaneous on the web in real-time and transparent. Available leverage is as high as 50-1 on the major spreads.

I've always been interested in this kind of stuff and monkeyed around with it in a small way over a decade ago with disappointing real results. After that I decided to never bet, just to keep reading a little here and there over the years and try to figure out the commodity/futures/trading puzzle (to some extent).

Someone I know piqued my interest maybe 6 months ago when he told me that he has been daytrading stocks from home and that someone with my discipline could certainly make 3-4K/Wk. doing the same once I learned. He said commissions and spreads have come down so much that with Level II trading he only needs some minuscule movement (I forget the exact amount) in the stock price to break even on the trade. He has done this successfully for several years now. Also I am keenly interested because of the chance for a really HUGE score in these markets if you hit things just right;-)

Anyway I started web-surfing about it recently and found that the currency exchange market (FOREX) is not only the largest and most liquid of all markets but that it also has
the lowest transaction costs. So I set up this free FXGame trading account and messed with it for a few days part-time. Net result trading the EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY over the last few days = down about 15K out of my 100K virtual account /images/graemlins/tongue.gif The interesting thing is that I am down WAY more than the cost of transactions (the spread: a 1.8 PIP spread on a 100K lot means paying $18 for a round-turn net everything). I was just trying to trend-follow a bit by the seat of my pants off the charts and maybe catch a reversal or two and just lost. Obviously I suck at this and would have no business doing it with real money right now/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After digesting Market Wizards and Market Wizards II some years ago, and reading Soros and Rogers and some others, I came away with the impression that the markets are NOT random nor are they all that efficient on a short-term basis. Money can be made by trading fundamentals or technicals although the styles are very different. Low transaction costs of course help a lot. Money can also be made by investing as opposed to trading and I am well aware that that is probably the best long-term approach. However what I am talking about here is pure trading not investing.

Ray Zee made a point in another thread--I forget the specifics--in which he asked someone just what info. they would have that others don't. That's a very valid question, especially for those trading on fundamentals. I'm a little more curious here though about trading on technical indicators as a means to discern trends to follow or likely reversal points. The theory here is that underlying forces are reflected by price actions even if we don't have full knowledge of what those forces are or how strong they might be. Thus the price actions in some ways tell us what we cannot otherwise know. Also as BadBoyBenny just said in another thread we don't necessarily need more information than others if we better analyze and act on the available information (sort of like poker that way;-)).

I do believe that this can be done successfully although the percentage of successful pure traders is probably quite small, perhaps something like the number of long-term professional poker players.

A couple questions I ask myself: why is this stuff so hard? Why the heck did I lose so easily, way beyond the transaction costs in my virtual account? The darn market just seemed to go the opposite of whichever way I bet most of the time;-) A couple times I set a stop which got hit and the trade would otherwise have profited--but I set the stop well out further than the recommended levels.

I have read that a trader need only be right perhaps 40% of the time to show a profit if one follows the principle of cutting losses and letting profits run. George Soros said that it's not how many times you lose but how much you make when you are right.

Any insights or comments are most welcome.

GeorgeF
07-04-2004, 03:22 PM
1) What was your edge/plan?

2) It seems to me that trading commodities like money you are dealing with people like large banks and trading companies that have insider information (which is legal with commodities).

3) The problem with Technical analysis is that anyone can use it making it worthless unless you can come up with your own indicators.

4) largest and most liquid of all markets ... EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY. If I had to suggest anything I would suggest currencies of countries that are less liquid, so that your small transactions might have an advantage. How about the Guatemalan Quetzatl/USD?

5) You might try long term trades that banks will shy away from. They must have multi year currency options.

pacecar
07-05-2004, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have read that a trader need only be right perhaps 40% of the time to show a profit if one follows the principle of cutting losses and letting profits run. George Soros said that it's not how many times you lose but how much you make when you are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes sense...good traders (probably like your friend) aren't expecting to make money on every trade..they want to find EV+ trades and put on as many as possible so that their actual returns approach some mean positive return (based on their trading methodology)..same with poker players..they don't expect to win everytime they're holding AA or AK but they know they'll win with those hands over the long-run and by cutting their losses by folding hands like 72

MMMMMM
07-05-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi George, thanks for your response.

"1) What was your edge/plan?"

None. Perhaps that was part of my problem;-)

"2) It seems to me that trading commodities like money you are dealing with people like large banks and trading companies that have insider information (which is legal with commodities)."

Yes.

"3) The problem with Technical analysis is that anyone can use it making it worthless unless you can come up with your own indicators."

Not sure if that should necessarily make it worthless (how many actually do use and apply technical analysis in a planned and disciplined manner? And how many sustained moves will happen anyway due to serious market pressures which technical analysis reveals through price action?

Coming up with one's own indicators does sound like a cool idea;-)

"4) largest and most liquid of all markets ... EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY. If I had to suggest anything I would suggest currencies of countries that are less liquid, so that your small transactions might have an advantage. How about the Guatemalan Quetzatl/USD?"

Interesting suggestion which may have real merit.

"5) You might try long term trades that banks will shy away from. They must have multi year currency options."

I once did this on the Japanese Stock Market Index back in the early 90's or thereabouts. Jim Rogers had done an interview in Barron's in which he stated that the Japanese market was way overvalued by any historical standards (it was trading at PE's of something like 50-1 or 100-1 on average, and everyone was saying the Japanese stock market was somehow "different" and could sustain this. Rogers said that was BS and that the market was already showing signs of beginning to crack).

He was asked when it would really crack and replied, if I recall, no later than April or May (I forget which). I went right ahead and bought put index options for the Japanese market. The darn thing held steady through his deadline and my small speculative stake was wiped out. The very next month, it started sinking, then nearly free-falling. The Japanese market tanked and tanked and tanked for a long long long time. If my options were placed a little farther out I would have cleaned up, maybe even gotten rich if I pyramided (since it was such a long-term move, and a sustained one). If I recall that index fell from like 50,000(?)to around 17,000 over many many months then languished a long time.

adios
07-05-2004, 06:53 PM
I don't think this will help much but FWIW. After years of following the stock and bond markets I'm not prepared to state that technical analysis won't work. I believe I've found what works for me in the long run but it doesn't encompass technical analysis in the traditional sense. I look at multi-year charts and if I see historical volitivity I try and discover the reason's for it. Hopefully I can gain a perspective on what sort of things effect the price. I think one could trade the QQQ or SPY on a short term basis using momemtum type indicators but that's just a belief. I don't think you'd get a trade every day but could trade it often enough to supplement your income if you had 100K, 200K would be even better. I would think understanding fundamentals that drive prices in any market could ever be detrimental. Fading the pre-market action in the stock market seems to me to be a profitable venture still.

MMMMMM
07-07-2004, 10:11 AM
I got out of the short EUR/USD positions in my virtual account. Made some money long USD/JPY and got even overall from my 15K loss and even ahead a couple hundred virtual bucks;-) --- then backslid to around an 8.4 k net loss.

Then last night I got a bright idea /images/graemlins/smile.gif I had been betting basically one-way positions with respect to the USD. I decided the Yen looked weaker against the dollar than did the Euro against the dollar (or that the Euro looked stronger against the dollar than did the Yen;-)). So I split my position last night, betting half long the USD/JPY and half long the EUR/USD. That way I am betting the dollar in both directions and won't get killed if the dollar moves very sharply across the board.

As of right now this strategy seems to be working: the long EUR/USD is up 66 PIPs and the long USD/JPY is down 46 PIPs. Net gain on these positions is $1,050.98--not the kind of swings I was seeing before, but comfortable. I'm still stuck around $7,700 from before though.I went to sleep last night feeling much more confortable about my virtual account;-) BTW if I had stayed simply long USD/JPY I would have gotten killed again.

MMMMMM
07-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Well that last combo bet slowly soured as it panned out in practice since the last update.

BTW, instead of long USD/JPY + long EUR/JPY it would have been more efficient to simply go long EUR/JPY. Duh /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

adios
07-07-2004, 11:59 AM
A good understanding of the fundamentals driving these exchange rates would seem to be valuable to me. Not saying that it will guarantee success but it will help at the margin. I'm certainly no expert on exchange rates but I'm fairly certain we don't see the US $ rally too much until the U.S. budget defecit narrows. I realize that using a lot of leverage, the short term is the dominant factor in determining success.

MMMMMM
07-07-2004, 12:40 PM
replace:

"long USD/JPY + long EUR/JPY it would have been more efficient to simply go long EUR/JPY. Duh [/i]"

with: "long USD/JPY + long EUR/USD it would have been more efficient to simply go long EUR/JPY. Duh

MMMMMM
07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Yes good point.

I'm beginning to think that a good way to trade might be to assemble the fundamentals, decide on a direction (if you can), then trade on a technical basis but only when the technical indicators match up with your fundamental assessment. This would cut your trading opportunities down but should(!?) produce a higher success rate. If you analyze enough picks you will find some on which you feel there should be strong fundamental forces to push it in a certain direction. Then you just wait for the technicals to line up as well;-) This would also decrease the chances that you get killed by short-term market forces which sometimes go against your fundamental projections.

One thing I recall reading in one of the Market Wizards interviews was a top trader saying that if you wait for three things to line up you will virtually never lose on a trade. Those three things are: the fundamentals, the technicals, and a catalyst (e.g. news event or something like that). Makes a lot of sense though such opportunities might be uncommonly found.

RollaJ
07-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Dont worry about getting stopped, every big trader uses stops. It is a good time once stopped out to take a step back, evaluate the current market and see if you really want to be in there still. You can always buy back lower or short again when it goes higher.

Euroyen might be an idea, but youd lose a bit of liquidity

Perhaps youd like the dollar index on the finex

Ive seen over the 4 years trading futures that the best bet is usually to just go with the flow in the morning, this is primarily true of physical commodities more so than with financials.

Buy into strength and sell into weakness, its counter intuitive, but it works more often than not