PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest

J_V
07-03-2004, 09:34 PM
One of the most underrated Nintendo games of all time. One problem though, the game is hard to beat without the flame whip and the flame whip is almost impossible to find on your own. Anyone play this game before?

Dynasty
07-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Shouldn't you have posted this fifteen years ago?

astroglide
07-03-2004, 11:25 PM
underrated by who? everybody liked that one the best of the castlevania series

nolanfan34
07-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Underrated = Baseball Stars

Castlevania was good too.

bugstud
07-04-2004, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You, my good man, will make an excellent commish /images/graemlins/grin.gif

All he Castlevanias are great, but my underappreciated game nomination: River City Ransom.

Dynasty
07-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Baseball Stars was a big leap in baseball games. I fairly sure it was the first game where you could play a long season. I remember playing a fewer 120 game seasons.

DanS
07-04-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You, my good man, will make an excellent commish /images/graemlins/grin.gif

All he Castlevanias are great, but my underappreciated game nomination: River City Ransom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. Don't forget Rush 'n Attack.

And in sports, after Baseball Stars (which was f'n awesome), Tecmo Bowl. That freeze frame air high five after a touchdown was wicked bad.

Dan

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:23 AM
everybody loves river city ransom too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

here are some real ones: clash at demonhead and defender of the crown

Schneids
07-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Underrated: Excitebike, RC Pro AM

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:38 AM
both of those were loved

bugstud
07-04-2004, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
everybody loves river city ransom too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

here are some real ones: clash at demonhead and defender of the crown

[/ QUOTE ]

Clash at Demonhead is a good call, reasonably obscure even. I also liked Baseball Stars 2, Bases Loaded in the early baseball category, Marble Madness and Manic Mansion, as far as underappreciated ones go.

astroglide
07-04-2004, 03:22 AM
marble madness was excellent. i considered mentioning maniac mansion, but it was truly worshipped on other platforms. defender of the crown was just as available on the c64/amiga/etc but didn't get its props.

Dynasty
07-04-2004, 05:00 AM
Are we going to get nostalgic about Atari 2600 game next? You could play about 150 different versions of Space Invaders on that system. Pitfall was a great original game, of course.

Pac Man on the Atari 2600 was a joke.

ThePopinjay
07-04-2004, 05:25 AM
Best NES: TECMO SUPERBOWL

bugstud
07-04-2004, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Best NES: TECMO SUPERBOWL

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, that game was so broken. If it could store your stat records properly, then it might deserve the best football title /images/graemlins/grin.gif

(for those unfamiliar, the game stops recording statistics at certain points. Something like 63 tds and some rather high yardage numbers, but you can easily suprass these with Bo Jackson, Cunningham, etc.)

gonores
07-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Please. Damn near everyone I know not only owned these games, but also consistently ranked them in their top 10 of all time. If anything, Excitebike was overrated. RC Pro AM was insanely good, tho.

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:11 PM
most playable on a nes max (my favorite controller)

Duke
07-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Marble Madness was best on the Apple IIe, and it's not close.

Don't forget Zany Golf on the APple IIgs. Sabotage was a great game for the Apples. Lemonade Stand on the Commodore PET made 1st grade easier to stand.

~D

Senseless
07-04-2004, 06:26 PM
yes, clash at demonhead was definitely overlooked...

Senseless
07-04-2004, 06:31 PM
dude SABOTAGE for APPLE ii was awesome!!

it inspired me to write a game kind of like it, called chopper. download it (and if you're into programming the source code) at my qbasic page (http://funkomatic.com/qbasic)

my favorite NES game was Megaman3...but i'd say an underrated game was Zelda2. lots of people hated the hell out of that game, but they didnt understand it was an RPG and tried to play it as an action game. the truth is that is was one of the best hybrids of action and RPG to date.

Uston
07-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Lucky for me that I had a subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day. I never would have beaten that game on my own. It was definitely a good game but it was unlike the first Castlevania in that you never wanted to play it again after you beat it.

Best NES game ever: Ninja Gaiden
Worst NES game ever: Total Recall
Most underrated: The Guardian Legend
Most overrated: Legacy Of The Wizard

daryn
07-04-2004, 07:17 PM
problem with tecmo bowl was that walter payton was unstoppable

astroglide
07-04-2004, 07:19 PM
best - ninja gaiden: i think it's far from the best. it's a basic memorization platformer. the cinematics were the only thing that set it apart.

worst - total recall: there are WAY too many worst games to even try

underrated - guardian legend: that was pretty huge in its day, but not much was huge during that day.

overrated - legacy of the wizard: hard to say that's overrated because i've never heard of it

astroglide
07-04-2004, 07:30 PM
i believe it was john elway football on the genesis where you could literally do an onside kick every time regardless of difficulty setting

turnipmonster
07-05-2004, 10:07 AM
after I discovered that there were emulators I downloaded one just so I could play ninja gaiden and mike tyson's punch out. ninja gaiden's graphics were messed up and I was pissed. I had forgotten about rc pro am, but that rocked, but not as much as real rc cars.

--turnipmonster

bdk3clash
07-05-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
after I discovered that there were emulators I downloaded one just so I could play ninja gaiden and mike tyson's punch out. ninja gaiden's graphics were messed up and I was pissed. I had forgotten about rc pro am, but that rocked, but not as much as real rc cars.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

007 373 5963

http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/2001-04-09/images/punch_out.gif

Michael Davis
07-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Turnip,

Could you recommend an emulator? I was trying to find one after reading your post and picked up a trojan horse while visiting a site. Ugh.

-Michael

turnipmonster
07-05-2004, 12:04 PM
when I had a pc, I used nesten and nesticle. both of them worked pretty well, but this was a couple of years ago. I was going to ask if anyone knew of any good emulators for OSX.

--turnipmonster

bugstud
07-05-2004, 03:37 PM
I use fceu, works very well.

nolanfan34
07-05-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
007 373 5963

[/ QUOTE ]

That is awesome. I remember that code well, takes you right to Mike Tyson. Classic.

DanS
07-05-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
problem with tecmo bowl was that walter payton was unstoppable

[/ QUOTE ]

The weirdest thing about Tecmo Bowl was that a pass was a completion or an interception EVERY SINGLE TIME, lol.

It was also sweet how some teams had 3 run plays and one pass play, or vice versa. What a playbook.

Dan

P.S. Bo Jackson was the best RB in that game, not Payton, from what I remember. Nah, you're right. But Jay Schroeder was the shee-it.

P.P.S. I hate the Raiders.

DanS
07-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Also, let us not forget Arch Rivals.

Dan

Dynasty
07-05-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
007 373 5963

[/ QUOTE ]

That is awesome. I remember that code well, takes you right to Mike Tyson. Classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember playing and beating Punch Out! before Mike Tyson's name was added to it. So, I never went beack to fight Mike.

I liked King of the Ring better. But, I just couldn't get too far in it.

Blades of Steel, of course, was one of the great early sports games.

I never cared for Double Dribble and didn't like any basketball game until I stopped playing Nintendo.

astroglide
07-05-2004, 06:00 PM
the "punch out" game without mike tyson came out much later. mike tyson's contract with nintendo expired, and he was replaced by "mr. dream". the other boxing game was "ring king" and it wasn't even close. double dribble ruled. straight "ice hockey" (with the 3 sizes of players) was superior to blades of steel.

i hereby ban you from this thread

Michael Davis
07-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Skinny guys were highly underrated, except as goalies.

-Michael

Uston
07-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Doesn't the fact that anyone with a week of playing under their belt could beat the computer in Double Dribble by 90 points bother you? Those three pointers from the bottom of the screen in line with the hoop must have had a 98% success rate.

astroglide
07-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Doesn't the fact that anyone with a week of playing under their belt could beat the computer in Double Dribble by 90 points bother you?

nope.

J_V
07-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Legacy of the Wizard was supposed to be the hardest game ever. I played for hours and never got anywhere. I'd like to try again.

Michael Davis
07-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Did you ever play ET? I started the game up a few times and could never, ever figure out what was going on. It had to be the hardest game ever.

-Michael

daryn
07-05-2004, 10:44 PM
the goalies only came in 1 size.

i belive the best possible team contained 1 fat guy, 1 avg. guy and 2 skinny guys

J_V
07-06-2004, 03:18 AM
No way, 3 fats on skinny or 2 skinnies, one fat. I didn't like the average guys.

Uston
07-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, I dumped my copy on eBay a couple years ago or else I'd give it to you. Not only did I not beat that game, which is a rarity for NES, I doubt I made it through 25%.

MCS
07-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Ahhhh, good call on the Arch Rivals. Nobody ever mentions how much that game was like a primitive NBA Jam. I mean, a 2v2 game where you can push people to steal the ball? Where have we seen this before?

I always picked Lewis after I got tired of Mohawk.

DanS
07-09-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the "punch out" game without mike tyson came out much later. mike tyson's contract with nintendo expired, and he was replaced by "mr. dream". the other boxing game was "ring king" and it wasn't even close. double dribble ruled. straight "ice hockey" (with the 3 sizes of players) was superior to blades of steel.

i hereby ban you from this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Pack up your NES, fly to the Bay Area, give me a fat guy, two mediums, and a skinny, and it's on like Donkey Kong.

Dan