PDA

View Full Version : Flopped trips vs. a possible flush -- how much credit to give?

MisterKing
07-03-2004, 07:51 PM
This hand came directly following a horrible suck-out, and I may have been steaming a little. That said, I'm not sure how I could have reasonably played this one differently. No reads on the main opponent, as this was their first orbit around the table.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG <font color="purple">(Unknown Opponent)</font> calls, MP folds, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG <font color="purple">(Unknown Opponent)</font> calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

I called PF on the button with only one aim: flop trips/OESD or run for the hills. When the blinds raised it, I saw enough calls out there to justify doing so myself as well.

Flop: (8 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Unknown Opponent raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Unknown Opponent calls.

Good news: I got exactly what I asked for and flopped trips. Bad news: look at those ugly spades. My re-raise was intended to isolate the raiser and gain information... mission accomplished. At this point I figure he either has a nice pocket pair, a monster spades draw, or something like AK with no spades. In other words, I read his raise to be just as likely intended to knock spade hands out as I do to be a made flush or big flush draw. He calls my 3-bet, rather than raising it, which solidifies my confidence in the former.

Turn: (7.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Unknown Opponent checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Unknown Opponent calls.

Check/call from the opponent says to me he doesn't have a made flush, and may have KQ, KJ, or something like that. I doubt he has KK or AA, as he would have raised either PF. I have his reasonable holdings (Kx,big flush draws, and longshot straight draws) beat, so I bet it. When he flat called, I fet great about my hand.

River: (9.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Unknown Opponent bets</font>, Hero calls.

Ok, so let me get this straight... he checked when the turn bricked, but now bets into me when the river comes rags? Does he have a 3 to make the wheel? Did he flop a flush and soft pedal it? What on earth is going on here? With all these mixed signals, I can't figure him out and just call down with my trips. I'm interested to see if you guys think this was the right play.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between Hero and Unknown Opponent.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Unknown Opponent (11.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Unknown Opponent shows 7s 8s (flush, king high).
Hero shows 5c 5h (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Unknown Opponent wins 11.50 BB. </font>

Guido
07-04-2004, 03:54 AM
I would raise or fold this preflop a lot of the time. You said you called for trips/OESD. The odds of hitting trips or better are 7.5:1 so you want at least 4 but preferably 5 opponents. You won't get them so I would raise to win it with my pair and get the blinds out. The call after the BB raises is easy because you are probably getting 7:1.

In your hand analysis you forget the preflop actions. Your unknown opponent didn't raise preflop so AK and a high pocket pair are not very likely. I put him on a king with a weaker kicker like a ten or jack or on a monster spade draw like you said.

On the turn I would presume I still have the best hand so I would bet out too.

I would probably play the river the same. I would be glad that he didn't let me pay much more.

So apart from the preflop action I would play the same. I sometimes raise the river but that is player dependant.

Guido